Lubricants, Heat Transfer and Deicing Fluids
Enabling Formulation Success
Formulating the next generation of high-performance industrial lubricants
High-performance industrial lubricants, heat transfer fluids and aircraft deicing fluids address key challenges for a wide variety of applications such as transmissions, axles, engines, metal processing, aircraft, food processing, electronics, commercial marine and gas turbines.
Lubricants and base stocks address key challenges for applications such as transmissions, axles, engines, metal processing, commercial marine and gas turbines.
- Polyalkylene glycols (PAGs) improve energy efficiency by reducing friction, increasing equipment durability and improving fuel economy and operational reliability
- Non-varnishing synthetic base stocks enable extended lubricant performance with lower downtime and improved cleanliness
- Low-odor ingredients and base stocks, with low toxicity, meet food and beverage processing standards for use where incidental contamination may occur
Heat transfer fluids are available in three distinct fluid chemistries: synthetic organic, inhibited glycols and silicone. The technologies offer excellent thermal stability for high and low temperatures as well as corrosion protection for a variety of heat management and heat transfer applications. These include geothermal heat pumps and other water-based systems to food and beverage processing; and from pharmaceutical and polymer processing to Concentrated Solar Power (CSP) generation.
Heat transfer fluids make up about 1% of the total cost of a system, but they have the ability to ruin it completely if the fluid is low quality. Investing in quality fluids is investing in your system’s future. Dow heat transfer fluids have been helping systems achieve peak performance since 1929. We are the only fluid supplier with over 90 years in the industry. As a back-integrated supplier, Dow sets the bar for purity and longevity with DOWFROST and DOWTHERM…lasting over 20 years when properly maintained. Don’t compromise the lifetime of your system…Invest in it.
Dow’s Holistic Support Initiative aims to provide assistance to customers from project inception through the end of the system’s life. Dow has been offering heat transfer fluids for more than 90 years and has an extensive knowledge base in this segment as a result, allowing for exceptional customer support. Our assistance today includes:
Experienced Technical Service
- Consultation – one of our technical experts will work with you to understand the parameters of your project/system and select the best fluid
- Virtual or on-site technical seminars and product training
- Start-up guidelines and on-site safety training
- Product troubleshooting
- Fluid selection support and equipment design
Fluid choice requires weighing the importance of multiple factors: temperature limits, initial versus long-term costs, regulatory requirements, and physical properties.
- Detailed brochures with physical properties and information for all Dow fluids.
- List of recommended materials and equipment for optimal heat transfer performance.
- Procedures and guidelines for start-ups, systems cleaning and others.
+FLUIDFILE Property Software
- Free-to-use software program that compares physical properties, film coefficient and pressure drop of multiple Dow Heat Transfer Fluids (HTF).
- Dow Synthetic Fluids material properties are also available in HTRI and other databases.
+North America Fluid Return Program (Synthetic Fluids Only)
- When current fluid has reached the end of its life, Dow can help with the return/disposal of the HTF.
- Dow will support and help coordinate the exchange of old fluid for new.
- Incentivized pricing for new material that is replacing material that utilizes the Fluid Return Program.
+Fluid Analysis Program**:
- Free-of-cost service that enables the owner/operator to have fluids analyzed in Dow laboratories, maximizing its life with proper maintenance after recommendations.
- Track the performance of the fluid over time and determine its suitability for continued use to reduce operational and fluid replacement costs.
**Fluid Analysis only available for systems >250 gallons of concentrate for Glycol
Aircraft deicing and anti-icing fluids are available as either ethylene glycol- or propylene glycol-based fluids. When the weather is unpredictable and challenging, they offer rapid and uniform wetting and spreading on aircraft surfaces, as well as long holdover times at very cold temperatures. They can be used as concentrate and ready to use (predilute) to assist in removal of ice, snow and frost from the exterior surfaces of aircraft.