Adhesives and Sealants
Sealing, bonding and adhering a variety of substrates
Adhesive and sealant formulations can be classified in a number of ways, including organic or inorganic; acrylic-, polyurethane- or silicone-based; and moisture, heat or UV curing, among others. They are used to achieve reliable, long-lasting bonds with a wide range of substrates, including ceramics, metals, glass and filled plastics, without the need for mechanical fastening and clamping.
Available in a broad selection of viscosities and cure chemistries to meet a wide range of processing needs across many industries, adhesive and sealant solutions from Dow are offered as both raw materials (surfactants, oxygenated solvents, rheology modifiers, additives and more) or fully formulated products. These solutions are used in a vast array of markets and applications, including:
- Automotive – providing durable bonding, sealing and gasketing; helping to prevent component failures, reduce costly warranty repairs and improve driving comfort
- Aerospace, defense and avionics – offering solutions for performance under demanding conditions, flexibility over a wide temperature range, reliable adhesion to a variety of substrates, and lightweighting capabilities
- Building and construction – enhancing durability and flexibility in glazing, exterior facades, and fire protection applications.
- Electronics and adanced assembly – addressing mechanical stress and vibration damping and reliability performance over a wide range of operating temperatures
- Lighting – helping to shield against environmental shocks and moisture to ensure the structural integrity of LED lamps; providing a secure base for sub-components and larger assemblies
- Industrial – enhancing performance and improving surface wetting while meeting volatile organic compound (VOC) requirements
- Packaging – improving adhesion in case and carton packaging, labels, and tapes; increasing shelf life and promoting recyclability in flexible food packaging
- Films, specialty tapes and labels – delivering high-performance properties in pressure-sensitive applications including masking tapes, splicing tapes and protective films used for electrical and electronics, building, automotive and aerospace