Reducing the environmental impact of oil sands mining
Oil sands pose big sustainability challenges, but the amount of recoverable hydrocarbons from oil sands makes it one of the largest resources on earth. While the industry continues to improve the sustainability of this vast resource, new innovations are required to significantly reduce the impact of extraction on the environment.
Learn how Dow’s approach to innovation can help improve the economic and environmental performance of both mining and in-situ extraction. We can help you:
- Improve recovery and lower steam requirements for Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD), Cyclic Steam Stimulation (CSS) and steam flooding through ELEVATE™ additives for steam conformance control and SOR improvement
- Reduce downtime related to mineral scale in ESPs and screens with Accent™ Scale Inhibitors and high-temperature removers
- Improve separation of oil and water with Demtrol™ demuslifiers and Romax™ water clarifiers
- Provide more economic settling of mining tailings with Dow flocculants, facilitating the release of clear water for recycling
- Reduce the water and chloride content of mining naphthenic froth, reducing the corrosion of downstream equipment