Surfactants, Emulsifiers and Polyglycols
High Performance Products
High-performance products including TERGITOL™, TRITON™, ECOSURF™, DOWSIL™, CARBOWAX™ and CARBOWAX™ SENTRY™ PEGs
We offer a robust portfolio of both organic and silicone-based products, designed to meet stringent performance and regulatory requirements in a wide variety of applications. Our surfactants act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming or defoaming agents, and dispersants across a range of consumer and industrial applications. CARBOWAX™ and CARBOWAX™ SENTRY™ products offer excellent solubility characteristics in solid and liquid formulations. Polyglycols from Dow offer great foam control and lubricity.
Anionic and Nonionic Surfactants
Dow surfactants include some of the most familiar nonionic and anionic products in the industry, known worldwide for excellent emulsification and dispersion. They increase the cleaning and wetting properties of household cleaners as well as industrial and institutional cleaning product formulations. They are also used by formulators of paints, coatings and inks for pigment wetting, film leveling and dye stabilization.
Dow surfactants offer excellent emulsification and dispersion across a wide range of industries and applications, including in household, industrial and institutional cleaning, in agricultural adjuvants, textile processing, paper manufacturing, and oilfield operations. Many products are non-alkyl phenol ethoxylate (APE) based, and readily biodegradable with low aquatic toxicity.
Dow surfactants enable:
- Improved environmental profile, cleaning and wetting performance in household, industrial and institutional cleaning product formulations
- Enhanced performance of active ingredients in herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, foliar nutrients and plant growth regulators
- Optimized formulation performance that protects both the bottom line and the environment in energy applications including exploration, enhanced oil recovery and water treatment
- Mild and efficient foam control in food, feed and pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Improved performance in commercial coatings via modification of wetting, emulsification, dispersion/suspension, solubilization, foaming/defoaming, and cloud point adjustments
- Superior performance in textile processing applications, including fabric lubrication, sizing, treatment and dyeing
Silicone-based surfactants from Dow offer both hydrophobic and hydrophilic characteristics, providing performance that is both more efficient and more cost effective across a variety of key industries. Some benefits include:
- Improved performance via modification of wetting, emulsification, dispersion/suspension, solubilization, foaming/defoaming and cloud point adjustments of commercial paints and coatings
- High dispersion capabilities, formulation flexibility and multi-performance attributes in personal care products such as creams, gels and sticks
- Superior wetting that improves the performance of active ingredients in agrochemical formulations such as herbicides, insecticides, foliar nutrients and plant growth regulators and deliver excellent wetting in dish care, fabric care, and textile and leather treatment applications
Our portfolio of CARBOWAX™ and CARBOWAX™ SENTRY™ polyethylene glycols (PEGs) includes a wide range of viscosities and melting points to offer flexibility to help optimize formulations across a variety of applications. Some benefits and uses of PEGs include:
- Delivering effective formulations as excipients in pharmaceutical and consumer health products for face and skin care, oral hygiene, and more, as well as active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) in laxative and lavage applications
- Improving fragrance and softening and antistatic performance in fabric treatments
- Acting as solubilizers, stabilizers, binders and carriers in hair and skin care product formulations
- Achieving excellent control of texture, viscosity and hygroscopicity in soaps and detergents for home care and industrial and institutional cleaning applications
Some benefits and uses of our range of polypropylene glycols (PPGs) include:
- Mild and efficient foam control for food and fermentation processes
- Improving performance in industrial lubrication applications, including gear oil, metal working and compressor fluid
- Reducing water surface tension, improving froth stability and accelerating flotation in mining flotation applications from fine to coarse particle
ICIS Surfactants World Conference | Rich Helling, Dow Global EH&S Expertise Principal
“The Journey to Sustainable Alternatives Through Innovation and Life Cycle Analysis (LCA)”
Learn how Life Cycle Analysis was used to compare ECOSURF™ EH-9 and TERGITOL™ NP-9 surfactants.