Driving for better, more sustainable rubber
Ethylene propylene diene terpolymer, or EPDM for short, is a durable material made to withstand the toughest conditions. It can handle high temperatures and abrasive chemicals. Even though it's a tough material, that doesn't mean it has to be tough to work with. Our EPDM products are cleaner, easier to work with and enable efficient manufacturing.
NORDEL™ EPDM products feature the widest range of ethylene content available in the industry. These high-quality, virtually gel-free polymers - including ultra-high-molecular-weight and oil-extended grades - are an excellent choice for a long list of automotive, construction, consumer and other applications. Available in both bale and free-flowing pellet forms, the NORDEL™ EPDM portfolio is progressively expanding with new products tailored to meet specific customer and industry needs.
But this is no ordinary EPDM. Our EPDM is made using proprietary, advanced molecular catalyst (AMC) technology in a solution process, which allows it to do some pretty amazing things:
AMC technology enables the tailored design of EPDM molecular architecture, including balanced processing and physical properties. Key benefits of this exclusive technology include:
- Ultra-high molecular weight
- Broad molecular weight distribution capability
- High diene content
- High to low polymer Mooney viscosity
- Oil-extended grades
- Wide range of ethylene content, from amorphous to semi-crystalline
- Higher long chain branching capability
- Ultra-clean, low gel content
- High productivity
- Fast mixing and processing
- Fast curing
- Increased filler acceptance
- Extrusion and injection foaming
- Improved filler additives incorporation and dispersion
- Scrap reduction
EPDM across applications
NORDEL™ EPDM is ideally suited for a broad range of applications:
Performance and sustainability
Life cycle analysis of EPDM produced with AMC technology shows that it has much lower environmental impact than producing Ziegler-Natta EPDM,(1) including:
- 20-25 percent less energy demand
- Overall improvement across categories
- 45 percent less smog
- 69 percent less impact on ozone depletion
- 55 percent less eutrophication
- 39 percent less CO2 emissions
- 37 percent less acidification
Let’s talk about your EPDM needs. By working closely together, we can help you select the ideal product for your needs.
(1)Life cycle analysis (LCA) data is based on tests conducted by Dow and reviewed by a third party. Dow’s LCA report is available upon request.