Improving thermal conductivity on the road
As advanced automotive electronics assemblies contribute ever greater value to automotive safety, reliability, performance and comfort, they are also generating higher temperatures that can reduce the functionality and reliability of the modules over time.
To address this growing concern, Dow has developed a portfolio of silicone thermal conductive gap fillers with different levels of thermal conductivity that deliver greatly improved dispensability, reduced abrasiveness (certain products) and stable performance for more reliable applications in harsh automotive under the hood environments.
Thermally conductive gap fillers from Dow are soft, compressible, two-part silicone, high thermal conductivity materials specifically formulated to effectively dissipate heat from critical automotive parts, such as engine or transmission control units, braking and stability controls, sensors and other high-heat applications.
Choose the gap filler that best fits your needs:
- DOWSIL™ TC-4515 Gap Filler has thermal conductivity of 1.5W/m.K
- DOWSIL™ TC-4525 Gap Filler has thermal conductivity of 2.5W/m.K
Gap fillers offer a number of benefits:
- Improved reliability in harsh temperatures – They withstand peak exposure at 200°C, and perform reliably at operating temperatures ranging up to 150°C.
- Easy processing – These advanced thermally conductive materials dispense easily from their original packaging with minimal to no additional process preparation, making them well-suited for automated application using standard meter mix equipment.
- Effective assembly – Avoid slumping on vertical surfaces during assembly. After cure, they maintain their vertical stability even after long use. Select formulations incorporate glass beads to control bond line thickness during assembly.
- Cost-effective, fast cure – The platinum cure system enables fast, controlled cure at room temperature, although cure times can be accelerated further with heat to reduce manufacturing cycle times. No post-cure steps are required.
- UL 94 V-0 recognition – Received recognition under Underwriters Laboratories UL 94 standard, which evaluates the flammability of plastic and silicone materials intended for parts in devices and appliances. Recognition under UL 94 is a step towards applying the UL label on your final product.