Solutions for municipal and industrial water pipelines
Are you searching for sustainable pipe solutions that help avoid corrosion, cracking, and leakage? Pipes that offer excellent, long-term performance, while protecting our water supply? CONTINUUM™ Bimodal Polyethylene Resins are up to the challenge. As more and more municipal and industrial water systems embrace the benefits of polyethylene (PE) pipes, our advanced bimodal PE technology stands out from the crowd.
PE resins offer the lowest total lifecycle cost of all municipal pipe materials, according to the Alliance for PE Pipe. As bimodal high density polyethylene (HDPE) resins, CONTINUUM™ products raise the bar even further – meeting or exceeding both ASTM PE4710 and ISO PE100 standards. Our proprietary dual-reactor gas-phase process also helps increase processing efficiency, decrease scrap rates, and reduce costs.
The advantages you want, with the pipe performance you need.
Water pipes manufactured with CONTINUUM™ Resins bring together a long list of benefits to outperform both conventional PE and traditional materials such as steel, iron, clay, and concrete:
- Extended service life – Dow’s resins enable the longest life cycles of any potable water pipe option, as well as less need for maintenance and replacement.
- Leak resistance/reduced water loss – Exceptional fusion capabilities allow the development of seamless pipelines without mechanical fittings or gaskets, which tend to corrode and leak over time. Whether you’re replacing outdated infrastructure or installing completely new systems, the result is improved water conservation.
- Lightweight flexibility – Dow’s partners can expect easier, faster installation than metal and concrete on any terrain.
- Chlorine Category 3 (CC3) rating – PE pipes manufactured with our resins exceed the highest chlorine resistance rating available. Dow offers a variety of municipal and industrial water solutions that allow for flexibility in Chlorine category ratings. Dow resins with CC3 ratings include DGDC-2490 BK Bimodal Polyethylene Resin (for black pipes), DGDA-2490 BL Bimodal Polyethylene Resin (for blue pipes), and DGDC-2502 BK Bimodal Polyethylene Resin (for black pipes). DGDA-2492 BK Bimodal Polyethylene Resin (for back pipes) has a CC2 rating. All four meet the PE4710 standard.
- Seismic resistance – PE pipes can safely accommodate repetitive pressure surges above their static pressure ratings and are well suited for seismic loading. This proven performance as an effective, cost-efficient solution for earthquake-resistant pipelines helps reduce repair costs and economic impact.
- Design and performance versatility - Our resins enable pipes that can withstand pressures from 125 psi to 400 psi at diameters between 0.5 inches and 63 inches and thicknesses up to 5 inches across a wide range of temperatures.
- Excellent slow crack growth (SCG) resistance – Over 10,000 hours in the Pennsylvania Notch Test (PENT, ASTM F1473) delivers more than 20 times the ASTM D3035 requirement of 500 hours. Exceptional rapid crack propagation (RCP) resistance also adds durability in extreme temperatures.
- UV resistance – CONTINUUM™ Resins exceed the minimum 3-year requirement to withstand ultraviolet (UV) light degradation during outdoor storage, per AWWA C901-17.
- Improved volume and flow rates – Ultra-smooth interior surfaces offer reduced drag and turbulence with higher resistance to scaling and biological buildup.
- More uniform system temperatures – Low thermal conductivity allows PE pipelines to operate with greater consistency and reduced need for insulation.
- Material reduction/downgauging potential – The strength and durability of Dow’s bimodal HDPE creates opportunities to reduce pipe thickness and use less material while maintaining performance requirements.
- More versatile/less disruptive installation – Outstanding toughness and flexibility enable conventional trench installation, pipe bursting, and trenchless horizontal directional drilling (HDD) – which is typically less disruptive to communities and the environment and more cost-efficient.
- Lower energy consumption – Less energy during manufacturing and shipping helps increased operational efficiency, reduced costs, and a smaller carbon footprint.
- Easy identification - In addition to standard black grades, DGDA-2490 BL Bimodal Polyethylene Resin is available in blue to help ensure easy identification of water pipes by installation and maintenance crews.
- Community support – By enabling the use of pipes that preserve water quality and prevent water loss, we’re helping ensure communities are safe and healthy.
The sustainable choice for water pipes
Extended service life. Excellent corrosion and leak resistance. Less disruptive installation techniques. Reduced material and energy use. All of these – and more – help make CONTINUUM™ Resins a more sustainable option than metal or concrete. We are always exploring, innovating, and searching for ways to make even better, more sustainable materials.
We’re excited by the opportunities – and challenges – offered by municipal and industrial water systems. Please contact your Dow representative today to learn about how we can develop advanced solutions to meet your needs.