DOWANOL™ PPh Glycol Ether
- Cleaners: household and industrial cleaners
- Textiles: dyes and printing pastes
- Coating formulation and application
- Industrial, automotive and architectural coatings
- Metal working fluids: surface cleaning and fabrication
- Favorable enviornmental profile, superior performance for end use applications, formulations may require less Performance solvent than P or E Series
- Low vapor pressure allowing formulations to meet volatile organic compound regulations
- Readily biodegradable
- U.S. EPA Inerts listed for non-food use
- Excellent for soap scum and greasy soil removal
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) Yes No 243 °C
- CAS# Yes No 770-35-4
- Chemical Name Yes No Propylene glycol phenyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption Yes No not VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) Yes No 8.84 (1.059)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) Yes No VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) Yes No 0.002
- Flash Point, Closed Cup Yes No 120 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) Yes No 51.8 (11)
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 17.4
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 11.5
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 5.3
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) Yes No false
- Molecular Weight Yes No 152.2 g/mol
- SARA Title III Yes No false
- Solubility in Water (25°C) Yes No 1 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) Yes No 6 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) Yes No 1.062
- Surface Tension Yes No 38.1 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) Yes No 0.01
- Viscosity (25°C) Yes No 25.2 cP
Highly hydrophobic, virtually scent-free
By looking only at the molecular weight, you might not realize just how hydrophobic the DOWANOL™ PPh glycol ether is. Albeit unexpected, as a highly hydrophobic ether that offers slow-evaporating capabilities, DOWANOL™ PPh is ideal for coalescing and carrier solvent applications. In addition it maintains a low associated odor, a key aspect for household products.
Due to its aromatic structure, this ether is a compatible match with phenolic coatings and linings and remains an excellent coalescent for acrylic-based latexes. Within hair dyes, where DOWANOL™ PPh is broadly used, this ether serves as both a solubilizer and a dye carrier.
DOWANOL™ PPH glycol ether solvent offers desired functional characteristics as a solvent for consumer and institutional cleaning applications.
Frequently Bought Together
DOWANOL™ DPnB Glycol Ether
A slow-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with excellent surface tension-lowering ability and coalescing properties. It has a near mid-range balance of hydrophobic and hydrophilic characteristics, and it offers significant water solubility. It is one of our most efficient coalescents in water-borne latex systems. It combines a number of properties that contribute to very high latex film quality: 1) high polymer plasticizing efficiency, 2) large molecular size and therefore greater polymer mobility contribution, 3) strong partitioning to the polymer phase, and 4) relatively slow evaporation rate. This product is compatible with many different resin types. It also provides excellent surface tension lowering ability, and is useful in cleaning products by itself or when blended with other products. Used alone in cold metal cleaning, it is a good solvent for removing oils and greases. An excellent choice for coatings applications, this product provides outstanding coalescing and film properties. INCI Name: Dipropylene glycol n-butyl ether
ACUSOL™ OP 301
It imparts a milky, lotionized appearance to a wide variety of household liquid products.
FOR LAUNDRY is a fully neutralized, liquid detergent polymer for a variety of laundry applications, providing excellent performance properties such as the inhibition of crystal growth and the dispersion of precipitates. FOR WAREWASH is a fully neutralized, liquid detergent polymer for industrial machine dishwash applications, providing excellent performance properties such as the inhibition of crystal growth and the dispersion of precipitates.
DOWANOL™ PnB Glycol Ether
A fast-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with high solvency and excellent coupling abilities. It is partly water soluble and miscible with most organic solvents. This is extensively used in heavy-duty cleaning formulations.
Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent
A high boiling point, slow evaporating solvent with excellent solvency characteristics.It has the characteristic structure of glycol ethers and contains both ether and alcohol functional groups in the same molecule. As a result, it provides unique cleaning power for removal of both water-soluble and greasy (water insoluble) soils. The linear hexyl portion of this provides excellent oil solubility characteristics that make it useful in both consumer and industrial cleaner applications. It plays an important role in specialty printing inks. Because of its limited water solubility and slow evaporation, it can be used in formulations for the silk screen process to prevent premature setting of the ink.
Butyl CARBITOL™ Solvent
A slow-evaporating, hydrophilic glycol ether with excellent coalescing and coupling power that can be combined with Butyl CELLOSOLVE™ glycol ether to lower the evaporation rate and increase the hydrophobicity. It offers 100% water solubility. A solvent used for process cleaning purposes.
DOWANOL™ DPM Glycol Ether
Mid-to slow evaporating solvent. Has 100% water solubility and is ideally suited as a coupling agent in a wide range of solvent systems. Has a higher flash point than DOWANOL™ PM glycol ether making it easier to handle, store, and ship. Often incorporated into latex emulsion coatings; can be used to prevent shocking (coagulation of emulsion) when hydrophobic solvents are used. More broadly, its hydrophilic nature makes it an ideal coupling aid in water reducible coatings, and cleaning applications. Used with cleaners because they offer an extensive combination of basic physical and performance properties for cleaning formulations. The intermediate evaporation rate allow it to be used in a potentially wider range of systems than many other solvents.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.