Stretch Pak: A blister packaging alternative that is kinder to the environment
The industry required an alternative to blister packaging that was better for the environment, but didn’t sacrifice performance. Because the contents are important, toughness and formability were crucial. We also needed to reduce weight, volume and overall material, leading to lower source material usage. So we turned to SURLYN™ Ionomer Resins, a material that enables skin and stretch packaging film with reduced material usage, enhanced shelf appeal and great performance.
Advantages that stretch from production line to shelf
Stretch Pak films made with SURLYN™ offer significant advantages over conventional blister, fold-over blister, and clamshell packaging:
- Permits fast throughput and line speeds for easier processing at higher packaging yields.
- SURLYN™ absorbs infrared heat at about twice the rate of polyethylene. Its ability to soften more quickly in the heating phase speeds up the whole packaging process, allowing around 40% more packaging cycles in the same time frame.
- Products can be packaged in single or multiple units without interfering with production.
More design options, increased sales potential
Compared to other packaging styles, Stretch Pak films made with SURLYN™ Ionomer Resin give retailers more carded display options.
|One-sided frame view||See-through frame view||Two-sided stand-up|
|Similar to surface-seal blister or skin packages, the opening can conform to the product’s shape or be designed as a generic shape. Ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.||The product “floats” in the middle of the card so that it can be seen from either side. Also ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.||Replacing standing fold-over blister and clamshell packages, this design provides superior standing performance and prevents the product from moving within the package. Ideal for incorporating promotional items.|
Additionally, SURLYN™ has outstanding gloss and transparency for superior shelf appeal. It imparts brightness to both matte and semi-gloss printed boards. It also allows for high-quality printing on a range of specially formulated boards to increase shelf appeal. And for the finishing touch, it offers clarity and shine on film, enhancing product appearance.
Performance benefits of Stretch Pak films made with SURLYN™
- Toughness and abrasion resistance minimizes damage during shipping and in-store handling and offers tamper evidence.
- Higher shrink force in the molten phase, for perfect draw, but a lower shrink force in the solid state. It eliminates unsightly board curl and prevents objects from being deformed.
- SURLYN™ is chemically inert, so it does not react with other plastics or rubbers — typically a problem with plasticizers in PVC.
- Resistant to grease and oil, which are often found in packages of industrial parts such as bearings and tiles, and it will not corrode unplated metals.
- Do not become brittle with age or low temperatures and ensure good cohesion even when packaging the heaviest products
- Retain properties down to -40 °C, minimizing low-temperature impact breakage during transit and storage.
- Excellent adhesion to primed and non-primed board