Immersing the Cloud in Sustainability
The tomorrow of cloud computing promises the advancement of powerful new data centers as well as growing pressures to reduce tremendous consumption in energy and land when cooling servers.
It's a future of exponentially faster data and an ever-growing need for faster information processing, all while satisfying an undeniable trend towards sustainability. And more data, faster means heat. The challenge is how to make critical data centers more efficient and sustainable by reducing their tremendous energy and land consumption. Data centers will constantly be improving the efficiency of cooling systems, better controlling of water consumption, reducing heat waste, and adopting renewable energy.
At Dow, we're helping to enable a revolutionary new cooling method with our silicone chemistries. Introducing DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling Technology - a game changer for cooling cloud and data centers. This new technology enables optimal cooling and thermal conductivity, while reducing operation costs - energizing industry advancement, and ushering forward this Green Revolution. We’re enabling efficiencies and sustainability in cloud and data centers by creating next-generation materials safely - for the planet.
DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling Technology presents an accelerated outlook for electronics in this new era of communications – for a greener, more sustainable world.
DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling Technology provides:
Sustainability for carbon neutral future
- A low-carbon solution featuring low Global Warming Potential (GWP) and zero Ozone Depletion Potential (ODP) to reduce environmental impact
Stability for an accelerated outlook of data centers
- DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling is built on stable chemical properties, high material compatibility, and low water absorption
Safety and environmental responsibility
- A safe, high-temperature resistant, and nonflammable liquid
- Without bacteria and mold growing concerns as natural organic fluids
- Delivers optimal cooling and thermal conductivity with low dielectric constant (ranging from 2.1 to 2.2), and low viscosity (10-30 cSt at 40C) with multiple selections
High cost efficiency
- Reduction of noise, costs, and leakage risks,
- Easy to maintain in a convenient location that saves space
DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling is a breakthrough technology because:
- Silicone liquid is superior in heat conduction versus air
- Liquid can get into small spaces and closer to materials that need cooling
- Does not require chillers, CRACs, CRAHs or raised floors
- More economical in overall cost
DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling is specifically designed for single-phase immersion cooling applications, as opposed to two-phase immersion cooling. In single-phase immersion cooling, heat is transferred to the coolant through direct contact with server components. But, unlike two-phase immersion cooling, the coolant does not boil off. Instead, it remains in the liquid phase (hence the name) and is cooled via a heat exchanger.
The future of Cloud Computing should see single-phase immersion cooling advancing the progress of several prominent areas:
5G Edge computing
- Edge computing centers are often located in urban areas, where space is more expensive and less available. Single-phase immersion cooling allows for more cooling efficiency in compact spaces.
AI and machine learning
- Training algorithms for AI applications requires a large number of GPUs, which creates a high level of heat, requiring a lot of electricity to cool. Single-phase immersion cooling is much more cost efficient than other methods.
Blockchain and crypto
- Blockchain technology requires a large number of machines connected to a network with frequent mathematical calculations. This also creates a large amount of heat, making a more cost-effective cooling system ideal.
High frequency trading
- High frequency trading requires high-performing systems that rely on timeliness and response speed. Single-phase immersion cooling can achieve higher overclocking possibilities for these scenarios.
Single-phase immersion cooling applications have many benefits over a two-phase (liquid -> vapor) system, making DOWSIL™ Immersion Cooling Technology ideal to meet the standards of the Green Revolution in data centers - as well as increase cost efficiency for operations.
Single-phase immersion cooling outperforms two-phase in categories such as:
- Non-fluid losses
- Lower operating expenses
- Better hardware stability
- Lessens environment, health and safety (EHS) risks
- More scalable to larger data centers
- Overall a less complex system
Most operations that have applied single-phase immersion cooling have been impressed with the simplicity of the system. This means more affordability, easier operations and less maintenance - helping some of the world’s largest cloud, enterprise, government, education and telecom organizations grow with data centers capable of future capacities and speed.