RETAIN™ Polymer Modifier
How great can a compatibilizer be?
Millions of pounds of multi-material flexible films end up in landfills each year. And, it doesn’t need to happen anymore. With the development of RETAIN™ Polymer Modifier, multi-layer barrier films can be recycled. RETAIN™ improves the optics and re-processability of the recycled film. What were once considered hard-to-recycle films can now be recycled in PE recycling streams without compromising the recycled product.
The struggle with barrier film scrap
Until now, it’s been difficult to recycle films containing polar polymers like EVOH and nylon. They do not disperse well into a polyolefin matrix for recycle/reuse. Previous industry attempts resulted in poor processability and insufficient optical properties – two critical performance requirements for many brand owners and converters.
The answer to the barrier film scrap challenge
RETAIN™ Polymer Modifier uses innovative recycle compatibilizer technology developed by Dow. Polar components are coated and encapsulated and disperse well. With further blending, resulting resins allow converters to fabricate new “recycled” films without sacrificing physical or optical properties – and in some cases possibly improve upon them.
Additional benefits are also possible, including obvious sustainability aspects and considerable cost savings:
- PE/EVOH films with RETAIN™ polymer modifier are approved for the How2Recycle logo by SPC
- May eliminate or reduce costs associated with collecting, packaging and selling scrap
- Opportunity to make better use of recycle stream (versus selling for low value or even paying to dispose of it)
- Significantly reduces gels in films produced from barrier film recycle streams.
- Incorporating as compatibilizers EVOH- and PA-based recycle content has the potential to achieve identical clarity as the control film.
- Incorporating as compatibilizers in EVOH- and PA-based recycled content can preserve mechanical properties, particularly maintaining or increasing dart values.