Leading the way with breakthrough roofing membrane science
Dow’s portfolio of roofing membrane solutions makes it possible to create flat and low-slope roofs that can withstand the toughest challenges and last for decades.
Our high-performance NORDEL™ Ethylene Propylene Diene Terpolymer (EPDM) resins build on the traditional strengths of EPDM – longevity, weather resistance, flexibility and low temperature toughness – by improving mechanical performance, filler loading and processability. The durable synthetic rubber manufactured with these resins can extend a roof’s life to more than 40 years.*
Ground-breaking, advanced proprietary technology
Over two decades ago, Dow revolutionized EPDM by introducing the NORDEL™ portfolio and its advanced molecular catalyst (AMC) technology, which enables the tailored design of EPDM molecular architecture – including balanced processing and physical properties.
The breakthrough technology gives NORDEL™ EPDM Resins the unparalleled properties that enable the production of roofing membranes that can last through extreme weather, volatile temperatures and chemical exposure.
Versatile, improved processability for roofing membranes
The versatility of Dow's NORDEL™ EPDM Resins suits the needs of various roofing membrane manufacturing processes including mixing, extrusion, calendaring and vulcanization.
The AMC technology allows manufacturers to create more roofing membranes with less polymer to improve efficiency.
Easy, straightforward roofing installation
Dow partners with stakeholders across the value chain to improve the flexibility and maneuverability of our roofing solutions to make installation faster and easier, making the process more efficient and less labor-intensive.
Did you know NORDEL™ EPDM is so flexible that it doesn’t curl and easily spreads and adheres to any roofing surface? A productive and straightforward installation can make all the difference.
Sustainable, energy-efficient options
Beyond developing technologies that contribute to roofing systems that last for generations, we’re always exploring what’s possible in making roofing systems’ production and life cycle more sustainable.
NORDEL™ EPDM offers sustainable solutions that allow for:
- Material reduction – The improved processing, installation and service life of roofing membranes made with NORDEL™ EPDM Resins allow for the use of less materials.
- Lower carbon-footprint – A longer-lasting roof requires less maintenance and replacement. That means less waste and lower energy use.
- Energy savings – Roofing membranes made with NORDEL™ EPDM can be formulated to produce white roofing membranes to enhance sunlight reflectivity, which can help lower energy consumption in buildings.
- Cleaner options – Dow’s AMC technology uses a cleaner catalyst, so roofing made possibly by NORDEL™ EPDM is less volatile and has little odor.
- Improved environmental profiles: A Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) revealed sustainable advantages in the production of NORDEL™ EPDM with AMC technology when compared to Ziegler-Natta solution EPDM. AMC technology offers 20-25 percent reduction in overall energy use, nearly 40 percent reduction in carbon dioxide emissions and approximately 50 percent improvement in overall environmental impact.**
We understand roofing needs and always apply our innovative R&D resources to fulfill them. Contact us today to learn about our state-of-the-art EPDM roofing solutions for flat and low slope roofing.
*EPDM Roofing Association
**LCA data is based on tests conducted by Dow and reviewed by a third party. Dow’s LCA report is available upon request.
Sign up for email updates
New products, news, events, and more delivered to your inbox.