Today’s farmers face challenges: feeding a growing global population amid water scarcity issues, shrinking land nutrient availability, and contracting harvest periods. Dow has a long heritage in agricultural markets, and we love a good challenge.
Solutions offering efficiency and precision
We put our scientists to work and found answers. It’s called fertilizer encapsulation - a polymer coating technology that can:
- Be applied to any granular substrate
- Provide extended-release capabilities and improve the efficiency of common crop fertilizers
- Control-release fertilizer to the plant when needed
- Enable dust mitigation and superior handling
- Help increase productivity, getting the most out of crop space
- Enhance crop yield and profit margins
- Be tailored to crop-specific nutrient release needs
- Prevent leaching into nearby water sources, and reduce fertilizer volatilization in the early days after application
Figure 1: Release profiles of encapsulants
Thickness, structure, and coating chemistry
Fertilizer encapsulation is built upon a simple concept (coating thickness) and complex science (coating structures). Coating thickness suggests the thicker the encapsulant coating, the longer the release time of the fertilizer. Coating structure is much more elaborate, taking into account many physical, functional, and chemical properties.
Figure 2: Coating thickness
Trust in experience
It’s a lot to take in, but with decades of agricultural science experience, we have the know-how and best-in-class capabilities to make it all work.
Formulation expertise to tailor plant growth needs
Right portfolio of polymers to encapsulate different types of substrates
Sophisticated characterization expertise for product development and product quality
Understanding of economics to develop viable innovative solutions
Close connectivity with top equipment manufacturers for coating of fertilizer
How are your fields?
We’d like to know how control-release fertilizers could help you get more from your crops. Let’s work together as your development partner and preferred product supplier for encapsulation of fertilizer and actives.