Redesigning liquid packaging for improved sustainability
For a long time, packaging liquids had been a challenge. Beverage cartons. Juice pouches. Condiment sachets. Cake frostings. Failures can get very messy. And seal integrity is of utmost importance. But times – and technology – are constantly changing.
Beyond the functionality, there are sustainability aspects needing attention, because the times – and technology – are changing.
The challenges of packaging liquids
Today’s consumers want more on-the-go convenience. Lighter packaging. Sustainable packaging that is designed for recyclability. With an ever-expanding portfolio of products and technology, together with innovative thought, our packaging solutions can answer those needs for all sorts of applications.
For food items such as milk, yogurt, cooking oil, juices, liquor, wine, and broth
for foods like cooking oil, wine, water, liquid vegetable paste, sauces, condiments, and soft drink syrups, and non-edible items such as agriculture chemicals, cleaning chemicals, lubricants, and motor fluids
for contents such as boxed dinner components (cheese sauces, pasta sauces, etc.), and commercial-grade foods such as soups, stews, sauces, etc.
for food items like sauce and dressing packets, single-serve condiment packaging, and health & hygiene items such as face creams, gels, and alcohol swabs
for foods such as cooking oils, sauces, salad dressings and condiments, juices and other beverages, and non-food items such as liquid detergent, hand soaps, shampoos and conditioners, and refill liquids for household cleaners
Structures using PacXpert™ Packaging Technology
for virtually any edible liquid or semi-solid food and many non-edible contents such as liqui detergent, motor oil, and paint
The answers for packaging liquids
Together, with our value chain partners, we are continuously collaborating to work toward the next great innovations in liquid packaging:
- Downgauging opportunities
- Enhanced optics for shelf appeal
- Excellent heat seal with wider sealing windows
- Effective seal through contamination
- Faster filling speeds – especially on vertical form-fill-seal (VFFS) lines
- Good organoleptics
- Efficient conversion and packaging processing
- Options to re-design for recyclability and structure optimization
- Durability and toughness for greater drop performance, fewer leakers
Layer by layer, component by component, virtually the entire Dow catalog for packaging can find uses in packaging for liquids. Explore our solutions:
- AFFINITY™ Polyolefin Plastomers
- AGILITY™ EC Performance LDPE
- BYNEL™ Adhesive Resins
- DOW™ Low Density Polyethylene (LDPE) Resins
- DOWLEX™ Polyethylene Resins
- ELITE™ Enhanced Polyethylene Resins
- NUCREL™ Acid Copolymers
Let’s get to work. Where would you like to start?