Optimizing with silicone elastomers
Across many industries, from automotive, to bake and cookware, to molding, fabricators and manufacturers alike are turning to silicone elastomers for better, safer products, that maximize process efficiency from design to final product.
Designed with a wide-range of high-performance physical, mechanical and chemical properties, silicone elastomers from Dow meet multiple processing and performance requirements.
Silicone elastomers from Dow provide the total manufacturing solution because of their physical properties, excellent resistance to harsh environments and their ease of processing via various methods (molding, extrusion, calendering and coating). They provide several important benefits:
- Long service life in adverse environments
- Flexible and resilient across a wide temperature range
- Excellent electrical insulating qualities
- Enhanced comfort and feel
- Can be formulated to meet the requirements of sensitive applications, such as for food-contact, drinking water and infant care
Type of silicone elastomers
High Consistency Rubber (HCR): options for heat cured ready-to-use compounds, silicone rubber bases, modifiers and dispersions, and pigments.
- SILASTIC™ HCRs are commonly used in automotive components, including high temperature hoses, dust covers, boots, engine mounts and exhaust hangers.
Fluorosilicone Rubber (FSR): options for heat cured ready-to-use compounds, fluorosilicone rubber bases, modifiers and dispersions, and pigments.
- SILASTIC™ FSRs can enhance component reliability in harsh environments with heat, cold and aggressive fluids, making them useful for a range of industries: automotive, aerospace/aviation, oil, gas and petrochemical, as well as industrial.
Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR): two-part dispensable silicone materials that are readily mixed and rapidly heat-cured.
- SILASTIC™ LSRs are widely used in injection molding, fabric coating, dipping and extrusion coating processes. Application areas are numerous, including the automotive, aerospace, appliance, business machine, electrical and consumer industries.
Fluoro Liquid Silicone Rubber (F-LSR): two-part silicone materials that combine the performance benefits of fluorosilicone rubber with the processing benefits of liquid silicone rubber.
- SILASTIC™ F-LSRs can be used in injection molding and coating applications to produce parts that withstand fuels and oils at extreme temperatures—for example, automotive components, including rubber seals, gaskets, diaphragms and other parts within high performance engines.