Technology for more efficient chemical production
Dow offers process technology to producepurified ethylene oxide (EO), EO and ethylene glycol (EG), oxo alcohols,, and purified terephthalic acid (PTA). Customers licensed to use these processes can take advantage of engineering services, including help with process optimization, plant capacity studies, plant upgrades and remote and on-site technical support from Dow representatives.
Dow’s METEOR™ EO/EG Technology can be designed to produce purified EO, EG or purified EO and EG as an integrated process. The METEOR™ Process, which stands for the Most Effective Technology for Ethylene Oxide Reaction, changed the competitive landscape by combining process simplicity, safety and excellent catalyst technology in one design. This helps deliver a major reduction in capital requirements as well as operating and fixed costs, further resulting in:
- Up to 20% reduction in major equipment
- Up to 40% reduction plot plan size
- Up to 50% reduction in control valves
- Up to 40% reduction in flow elements and up to 30% reduction in safety valves
Dow’s EO-only process, referred to as the METEOR™ HEXTEO Process, for making EO Derivatives helps customers recover over 99% of the EO produced in their reactor as high-purity EO.
Oxo Alcohol Production
Dow’s Low Pressure LP OxoSM Technology is the world's leading process for the production of oxo alcohols from olefins. This process can help achieve higher yield from raw material as well as reduced CAPEX, energy use, and environmental impact. LP OxoSM Technology is compatibility with a variety of feedstocks to allow for flexible production of a broad range of products based on industry dynamics.
To date, this proven process technology has been adopted in 55 projects across 15 countries, representing a majority of the world's oxo alcohols capacity licensed over the past 45 years. LP OxoSM Technology was awarded the Kirkpatrick Chemical Engineering Award, and NORMAX™ Catalyst, used within the oxo production process, earned an R&D 100 Award as well. Dow and Johnson Matthey Davy Technologies Limited continue to innovate the highly flexible LP OxoSM Technology.
Products commonly produced using LP OxoSM Technology:
- 2-ethylhexanol (2EH) for coatings and plasticizer applications
- Butanol for coatings, adhesives, and solvent applications and derivative manufacturing
- Mixed butanols for fuel applications
- Octanol (C8) for block co-polymers
- Aldehydes for oxo acids (C7-C9)
- Higher molecular weight plasticizer alcohols, such as C9 for isononyl alcohol (INA) and C10 for 2-propyl heptanol (2-PH)
- Detergent alcohols (C11-C14)
Technology for producing C7-C9 oxo acids is also available from Dow.
Purified Terephthalic Acid (PTA) Production
COMPRESS™ Purified Terephthalic Technology (PTA), jointly licensed by Dow and Johnson Matthey Davy Technologies Limited, is a streamlined process using conventional chemistry and a breakthrough combination of pressure filtration, solvent recovery and integrated water recycle processes to produce PTA.
The process, typically used as a feedstock for polyester resins, helps:
- Reduce investment cost by up to 15% and process footprint by up to 25%
- Lower operating costs by up to 20% due to lower energy and water consumption
- Minimize environmental impact due to lower emission to the atmosphere or to the water stream
The technology is also available for plant retrofits.
SMLP Oxo is a Servicemark of The Dow Chemical Company (“Dow”) or an affiliated company of Dow