Packaging Innovation Awards
2022 Packaging Innovation Awards Program
The 2022 competition is complete and the winners have been selected! We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who submitted an entry. The independent judging panel was incredibly impressed with the innovative packaging they evaluated. We hope this program continues to inspire innovation and progress across the packaging industry.
About the Packaging Innovation Awards
Recognizing the best in packaging design. Encouraging advancements in sustainability and performance. Inspiring the next big ideas. The Packaging Innovation Awards is the packaging industry’s premier awards competition. For over 30 years, ingenious up-and-comers and well-established brands alike have entered for the opportunity to have their most innovative designs judged on the world’s stage.
A strong passion for sustainability and a commitment to creativity are essential elements of winning designs. The Packaging Innovation Awards looks for creations that challenge the accepted limits of what’s possible, showcase new technologies or techniques and inspire future innovation.
The winning packages are celebrated and showcased across the global packaging industry— receiving recognition among industry peers and gaining exposure in new markets and with new audiences. Stayed tuned for the opening of the next edition of the Packaging Innovation Awards.
Designs from around the world and across all aspects of the packaging industry are submitted with the hope of being named a Packaging Innovation Awards winner. The four award distinctions are:
- Silver Awards – Recognizing packaging that demonstrate excellence in at least one category
- Gold Awards - Recognizing packaging that demonstrate excellence in at least two categories
- Platinum Awards - Recognizing packaging that demonstrate excellence in all three categories
- Diamond Award - Recognizing one package that demonstrates superior excellence in all three categories
Three categories are used to evaluate each entry. Judges look for designs that leverage cutting-edge technologies, benefit the greater-good, and provide an enhanced user-experience. Examples of the criteria evaluated in each category are:
- New and/or clever use of materials
- New technology integration in the pack or through the value chain
- Creative configuration and/or assembly
- Increased production and/or distribution efficiency
- Increased packaging line and/or conversion efficiency
Sustainable solutions for responsible packaging
- Supports and advances a more circular economy
- Incorporates recycled content in the design
- Designed to be reused, refilled or recycled
- Reduced CO2 emissions
- Greater resource and production efficiency*
- Helps reduce production and packaging waste
- Made with bio-based and/or compostable materials
Enhanced user experience
- Fulfills a user’s need and/or provides an enhanced experience**
- Aids product merchandising and encourages purchase
- Improves and enhances product accessibility
- Establishes a preferred price/value equation
* Includes reduced packaging waste and environmental considerations, such as energy, water and soil
** “User” defined as both the consumer and any users along the value chain
We’ve collected some of the more commonly asked questions that could help you prepare for this year’s awards and make the most of the opportunity to have your design recognized.
Accelerating packaging innovation by enabling brands to quickly bring-to-market solutions.
Developing materials that enable packaging structures that deliver performance and improved sustainability.
Polymers with Purpose
Exploring the latest plastic innovations that help advance circularity and low carbon footprints.
We are committed to connecting you with experts and resources to tackle any challenge.