Seven Dow Technologies Honored By R&D Magazine
Dow records more awards than any other company
The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE: DOW) announced today that six of its latest innovations have been named to R&D Magazine’s prestigious 2015 R&D 100 Awards. Additionally, one new product, PURINZE™ UltraFiltration Module, received special recognition in the Green Technology category.
Often referred to as the “Oscars of Innovation,” the annual R&D 100 Awards event held at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas celebrates the most significant technology inventions of the past year. With twenty-one total finalists, Dow was once again highlighted as a leading innovator, having the greatest number of finalists and winners of any single developer. A wide range of solutions were recognized, from more sustainable electronics, to innovative packaging, to water-efficient appliances, to infrastructure solutions and breakthroughs that improve safety and fuel efficiency in motor vehicles.
“Dow’s research teams continue to partner with our customers and fuel our innovation pipeline,” said A. N. Sreeram, Dow senior vice president of Research & Development and chief technology officer. “High-throughput research capabilities, combined with high-performance computer modeling, accelerate the development of products that meet and exceed customer needs, allowing us to consistently deliver differentiated solutions year after year.” In 2014, five of Dow’s products were named R&D 100 award winners, two more than the previous year.
Each of the seven Dow innovations recognized this year by R&D 100 was commercialized in the last twelve months and developed as a market-focused solution, addressing key customer challenges in a more sustainable way. The 2015 winners include:
- ACRYSOL™ RM-725 Rheology Modifier offers excellent applied hiding, enhanced surface appearance and better touch-up in a broad range of paint formulations.
- BETAMATE™ Structural Adhesives for lightweight aluminum enable automotive engineers to design vehicles for maximum weight-saving and reduction of fuel consumption and emissions.
- DOW ENDURANCE™ HFDC-4202 EC Insulation Compound contains patented formulation technology and is used in the construction of medium-voltage power cables, enabling utilities’ improved performance through extended cable life and enhanced reliability all while reducing total life-cycle cost.
- PacXpert™ Packaging Technology is a flexible, lightweight alternative to rigid packaging, requires less material to manufacture and allows for more efficient shipping.
- Polyethylene (PE) Stand-Up Pouch is packaging for frozen and dried foods that is suitable to be recycled in communities with existing PE film recycling streams and eligible to use the How2Recycle label.
- PURINZE™ UltraFiltration Module enables Eco-washing machines to recycle water, reducing water consumption by 30 percent, while removing 99 percent of common bacteria.
- SOLDERON™ BP TS6000 Tin-Silver helps electronics manufacturers “take the lead out” of solder used in chip packaging, while doubling productivity and maintaining reliability.
This recognition comes on the heels of Dow being named for the fifth consecutive year to Thomson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovator list. An R&D powerhouse and sustainability leader, Dow invents approximately 5,000 new products each year, with a focus on delivering breakthrough innovations to address society’s most challenging problems.
Dow (NYSE: DOW) combines the power of science and technology to passionately innovate what is essential to human progress. The Company is driving innovations that extract value from the intersection of chemical, physical and biological sciences to help address many of the world's most challenging problems such as the need for clean water, clean energy generation and conservation, and increasing agricultural productivity. Dow's integrated, market driven, industry-leading portfolio of specialty chemical, advanced materials, agrosciences and plastics businesses delivers a broad range of technology-based products and solutions to customers in approximately 180 countries and in high-growth sectors such as packaging, electronics, water, coatings and agriculture. In 2014, Dow had annual sales of more than $58 billion and employed approximately 53,000 people worldwide. The Company's more than 6,000 product families are manufactured at 201 sites in 35 countries across the globe. References to "Dow" or the "Company" mean The Dow Chemical Company and its consolidated subsidiaries unless otherwise expressly noted. More information about Dow can be found at www.dow.com.
About R&D Magazine
Since its founding in 1959 as Industrial Research, R&D Magazine has served research scientists, engineers and technical staff at laboratories around the world, providing timely, informative news and useful technical articles that broaden readers’ knowledge of the research and development industry and improve the quality of their work. R&D Magazine is a publication of Advantage Business Media (www.advantagemedia.com).
For editorial information:
Mary Jo Piper
The Dow Chemical Company
+1 989 636 5955