In August 2016, Dow launched a new polyurethane integral skin foam that may lower global warming potential (GWP) by up to 99.9 percent while sustaining the comfort level and durability of previous polyurethane systems. Dow’s ComfortScience customized I-Skin solutions formulated with hydrofluoroolefin (HFO) are designed for North American companies and brand owners impacted by the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP), announced by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
“We realize that change isn’t easy and the EPA’s blowing agent regulation brings a unique set of technical issues to the industry,” said Doug Todd, marketing director for Dow Polyurethanes. “Dow scientists thrive on challenges like this. For years, we have put our innovation engine to work to develop low GWP solutions and our experts are available to guide companies through smooth and seamless transitions to bring more sustainable solutions to the marketplace.”
Dow’s polyurethane solutions, VORALUX™ for furniture and SPECFLEX™ for custom molding, deliver improved mechanical and physical properties, including:
- Lightweight, flexible and durable foam core, but soft to the touch exterior
- Good flow and uniform density distribution of the foam
- Excellent adhesion to a variety of substrates
- Superior skinning properties
- Abrasion and chemical resistance
- Excellent mechanical properties of the foam resulting in outstanding dimensional stability
- Extended shelf life of the fully formulated system with HFO
- A curing profile that allows for very competitive de-mold times
- Additives can be used for flame retardants, UV stability, color and anti-microbial needs
Integral skin foam is used in a number of market applications, including automotive interiors, furniture components, office chairs, household leisure goods and wheelchairs.
The new Dow polyurethane integral skin foam system is ready for qualifications to fully comply with all applicable regulations as of January 2017. Contact a customer service representative toll-free at +1 (800) 441-4369 or email@example.com to convert today.