FOOD & AGRICULTURE
By 2050, global demand for food could increase by 60%.
We need to find solutions that consider the complex relationship between
climate change, agriculture, food security, energy and water.
Where Science Can Help
Science is developing a variety of solutions that is helping to address universal food security. These include technologies to:
- Maximize food production in limited space. Currently, 66 countries are not able to be self-sufficient due to water and/or land constraints.
- Increase the availability of healthy food. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), 12.5% of the world’s population (or 868 million people) is undernourished in terms of energy intake, and 3.4 million people die each year due to overweight and obesity.
- Reduce food waste throughout the value chain. A recent FAO report estimates that roughly one-third of food produced globally for human consumption is lost or wasted.
- Advances in crop protection chemistry, formulations and traits have led to better sustainability for growers worldwide.
Dow's Solutions At Work
Dow products and technologies are addressing the challenge.
Dow is proud to collaborate with dozens of organizations in the ongoing quest to solve the global food challenge. They include:
- Sustainable Livestock Initiative (Latin America)
- The Earth Institute of Columbia University
- Department of Environment & Primary Industry (DEPI) AgriBio (Australia)
- Papalotla (Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay and Uruguay)
- The Royal Barenbrug Group (The Netherlands)
- Evotec AG (Germany)
- BioDuro (China)
- BVK Biosciences (Asia)
- Farmer’s Edge International
- U.S. land grant universities (Purdue University, University of Illinois & University of Nebraska-Lincoln)
- Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture
- Clinton Foundation and its Urban Agriculture Project
- Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Ecology IME (Germany)
- Synpromics (Scotland)
- Meiji Seika Pharma Co. (Japan)
- Gramen Foundation and Bankers Without Borders
- China National Rice Research Institute
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- CABI Plantwise
Global Plastics Environmental Conference
Environmental Stewardship Award for Dow’s Polyethylene (PE) Stand-Up Pouch (2014)
Asociación Mexicana de Envase y Embalaje
Envase Estelar (most innovative package) for Dow’s Polyethylene (PE) Stand-Up Pouch (2013)
Brazilian Packaging Association
PacXpert™ Packaging Technology received The ABRE Gold Award (2013)
World Packaging Organization
PacXpert™ Packaging Technology received The WorldStar Packaging Award (2013/2014)
U.S. EPA Presidential Green Chemistry Awards
CONFIRM™ Insecticide (1998)
Best New Crop Protection Product for Spinetoram (2010)
Best Novel Agricultural Biotechnology for SmartStax (2011)
Best Innovation in Non-Crop for Invasive Plant management with Milestone and Other Herbicides (2012)
Best Formulation Innovation for Enlist™ Duo (2013)
Best Stewardship Program for Refuge Advanced Powered by SmartStax (2013)
Best New Crop Protection Product for Isoclast™ Active (2014)
R&D 100 Award in 2014 for Transform® WG insecticide and Closer® SC insecticide with Isoclast™ Active
Society for Industrial Microbiology and Biotechnology (SIMB)
SIMB Industry Award (2014), recognizing discovery, innovation and development in industrial microbiology and biotechnology that has resulted in successful products that benefit society.