University of Wisconsin-Madison
UW–Madison is one of the most prolific research universities in the world. With more than $1 billion in annual research spending, UW-Madison ranks second among U.S. public universities in research expenditures and seventh in federally funded research.
- Experimental Investigation of Catalytic Processes
- Computer Modeling of Catalytic Processes
- Concentrating Solar Power
- Fermentation Routes to Chemicals
Dr. Florian Schattenmann, Vice President, Corporate Research & Development, The Dow Chemical Company
Did You Know?
UW–Madison ranks 13th among American public universities, 25th among world-ranked universities, is the fourth leading producer of Fortune 500 CEOs, and second all-time producer of Peace Corps volunteers.
News and Highlights
- Retired Dow exec joins UW, will focus on innovation
- Dow Chemical invests in university talent and technology
- Chemistry Opportunities at UW-Madison
- UW-Madison Department of Chemistry: Robert J. Hamers
- UW-Madison Department of Chemistry: Awards and Honors
Dow and UW–Madison have collaborated for decades to publish in leading scientific journals. Recent publications include:
- Jones, ME; Banholzer, WF. 2014. Solar flux, water, and land impose limits on biology. BIOTECHNOLOGY AND BIOENGINEERING 111, 6, 1059-1061.
- Harjunkoski, I; Maravelias, CT; Bongers, P; Castro, PM; Engell, S; Grossmann, IE; Hooker, J; Mendez, C; Sand, G; Wassick, J. 2014. Scope for industrial applications of production scheduling models and solution methods. COMPUTERS & CHEMICAL ENGINEERING 62, 161-193.
- Tonks, IA; Froese, RD; Landis, CR. 2013. Very low pressure Rh-catalyzed hydroformylation of styrene with (S,S,S-Bisdiazaphos): Regioselectivity inversion and mechanistic insights. ACS CATALYSIS 3, 12, 2905-2909.
- Powell, AB; Stahl, SS. 2013. Aerobic oxidation of diverse primary alcohols to methyl esters with a readily accessible heterogeneous Pd/Bi/Te catalyst. ORGANIC LETTERS 15, 19, 5072-5075.
- Lu, T; Lu, ZJ; Ma, ZX; Zhang, Y; Hsung, RP. 2013. Allenamides: A powerful and versatile building block in organic synthesis. CHEMICAL REVIEWS113, 7, 4862-4904.
- Qi, R; Wang, XN; DeKorver, KA; Tang, Y; Wang, CC; Li, Q; Li, H; Lv, MC; Yu, Q; Hsung, RP. 2013. A convenient synthesis of gamma-amino-ynamides via additions of lithiated ynamides to aryl imines; Observation of an Aza-Meyer-Schuster rearrangement. SYNTHESIS-STUTTGART 45, 13, 1749-1758.
- Wang, XN; Winston-McPherson, GN; Walton, MC; Zhang, Y; Hsung, RP; DeKoryer, KA. 2013. Synthesis of cyclopentenimines from N-allyl ynamides via a tandem Aza-Claisen rearrangement-carbocyclization sequence. JOURNAL OF ORGANIC CHEMISTRY 78, 12, 6233-6244.
- Bates, CM; Pantoja, MAB; Strahan, JR; Dean, LM; Mueller, BK; Ellison, CJ; Nealey, PF; Willson, CG. 2013. Synthesis and thin-film orientation of poly(styrene-block-trimethylsilylisoprene). JOURNAL OF POLYMER SCIENCE PART A-POLYMER CHEMISTRY 51, 2, 290-297.
- Robinson, AP; Davis, VM; Simpson, DM; Johnson, WG. 2013. Response of soybean yield components to 2,4-D. WEED SCIENCE 61, 1, 68-76.