Our 2015 Sustainability Goals: Human Health and The EnvironmentOur 2015 Sustainability Goals calls for on average a 75% improvement of key human health and environmental indicators for EH&S operating excellence from our 2005 baseline.
The goals state that we will lead the way across virtually every facet of local protection of human health and the environment.
Dow has a strong tradition in this area. We were one of the first companies to introduce innovative protection equipment for our workers – in 1897 – and today we engage our neighbors through Community Advisory Panels.
The 2015 Sustainability Goals state that by year-end 2015:
- Dow will achieve an injury and illness rate of 0.12 per 200,000 hours of work, reduce the severity rate by 75%, and eliminate fatalities.
- Dow will reduce the severe motor vehicle accident (MVA) rate (MVAs causing or having high potential to cause injuries) for all Dow employees combined to 0.28 incidents per million miles driven.
- All sites/businesses combined will have fewer than 130 LOPCs (leaks, breaks and spills), with no more than 15 Category 2 incidents, eliminating Category 1 incidents.
- Dow will reduce the number of hazardous material transportation LOPCs by 75 percent, and eliminate highly hazardous (toxic Inhalation hazard and flammable gas) material releases.
- All sites will reduce process safety incidents by 75% based on the 2005 baseline.
- Dow will reduce company-wide emissions of volatile organic compounds by 30%, NOx by 30% and priority compounds by 30%. We will also re-use 300 million pounds of by-products as raw materials, instead of disposing as waste.
Additionally, Dow participates in voluntary programs such as the U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration’s (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Programs (VPPs), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Environmental Indicators, Regional Air Monitoring and The People’s Republic of China’s State Environmental Protection Administration (SEPA) agreement.