Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent
A high boiling point, slow evaporating solvent with excellent solvency characteristics.It has the characteristic structure of glycol ethers and contains both ether and alcohol functional groups in the same molecule. As a result, it provides unique cleaning power for removal of both water-soluble and greasy (water insoluble) soils. The linear hexyl portion of this provides excellent oil solubility characteristics that make it useful in both consumer and industrial cleaner applications. It plays an important role in specialty printing inks. Because of its limited water solubility and slow evaporation, it can be used in formulations for the silk screen process to prevent premature setting of the ink.
- Waterborne coatings
- Printing ink
- Excellent solvency
- Great chemical stability
- Compatible with water and a number of organic solvents
- Waterborne coatings: excellent coalescing solvent for water-borne, latex-based coatings
- Cleaning: coupling agent and solvent in household and industrial cleaners, rust removers, hard surface cleaners and disinfectants
- Cleaning: low vapor pressure allows formulating opportunities to address volatile organic compound (VOC) concerns
- Printing ink: especially effective in printing ink formulations for the silk-screen process
Biodegradable cleaning power
As part of its proven portfolio of home and institutional care applications, Dow offers a biodegradable glycol ether solvent that removes both water-soluble and greasy, water-insoluble soils. Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ maintains excellent solvency characteristics without compromising environmental standards, allowing for uniform diffusion and reduced defects due to solvent-pop and air entrapment in formulations.
The structure of Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent provides a unique cleaning power that can remove a wider array of soils. With the characteristic structures of glycol ethers, this solvent contains ether and alcohol functional groups in the same molecule. The high boiling point and slow evaporating rate of Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent makes it suitable for:
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) 208 °C
- CAS# 112-25-4
- Chemical Name Ethylene glycol mono hexyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption not VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) 7.37 (0.883)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) 0.0082
- Flash Point, Closed Cup 99 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) 195/912
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 16
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 10.9
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 6.9
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) true
- Molecular Weight 146.2 g/mol
- Solubility in Water (25°C) 0.88 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) 17.7 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) 0.866
- Surface Tension 27.7 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) 0.038
- Viscosity (25°C) 4.5 cP
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.