Hexyl CARBITOL™ Solvent
A slow evaporating solvent that partitions primarily into the polymer phase of a waterborne coating and reduces minimum filming temperature. It can be used with associative thickeners to enhance application properties such as brushability or roll application in high performance coatings. This product functions as a coalescing aid in waterborne emulsion or dispersion coatings and is used in cleaners to remove greasy soils. Also used in metal deco inks.
- Waterborne coatings
- Printing inks
- Silk-screen process
- Metal-deco inks
- Excellent solvency
- Great chemical stability
- Compatible with water and a number of organic solvents
- Low vapor pressure addressing VOC concerns
- Listed on CleanGredients® (max use 1.67%); pre-approved to meet the U.S. EPA Safer Choice Standard
- Excellent coalescing aid in waterborne emulsion or dispersion coatings
- Limited water-solubility and slow evaporation
- Provides good flow and levelling
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) Yes No 259.1 °C
- CAS# Yes No 112-59-4
- Chemical Name Yes No Diethylene glycol mono butyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption Yes No not VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) Yes No 7.74 (0.928)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) Yes No VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) Yes No 0.0006
- Flash Point, Closed Cup Yes No 126 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) Yes No -29 (-34)
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 16
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 10
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 6
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) Yes No true
- Molecular Weight Yes No 190.3 g/mol
- SARA Title III Yes No true
- Solubility in Water (25°C) Yes No 2 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) Yes No 53.4 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) Yes No 0.931
- Surface Tension Yes No 29.2 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) Yes No 0.001
- Viscosity (25°C) Yes No 6.2 cP
Unique solvency and solubility
If you’re in search of a glycol ether solvent with greater water solubility, look no further than Hexyl CARBITOL™ Solvent. With characteristic structure of glycol ethers containing ether and alcohol functional groups in the same molecule, it's able to remove both water-soluble and greasy (water-insoluble) soils, this biodegradable solvent provides a unique cleaning power.
The solvency characteristics of Hexyl CARBITOL™ Solvent allow uniform diffusion and reduced defects due to solvent-pop and air entrapment in formulations. The structure of Hexyl CARBITOL™ Solvent provides a unique cleaning power suitable for waterborne coatings, cleaning applications and printing ink applications.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.