DOWSIL™ 57 Additive
Provides slip, gloss, pigment treatment, leveling, wetting and mar resistance.
Dow introduces an innovative family of silicone slip and leveling agents for solventborne, waterborne and radiation curable wood, furniture and plastic coatings, inks and overprint varnishes:
- DOWSIL™ 205SL Additive
- DOWSIL™ 204SL Additive
- DOWSIL™ 401LS Additive
- DOWSIL™ 57 Additive and DOWSIL™ 402LS Additive complete the family of additives
Are you looking to differentiate your formulations by offering systems that provide a pleasing hand feel and improved flow and leveling performance, but can’t find additives that don’t affect recoatability or foam stabilization? Do you have a wide range of resin systems targeting many different applications and are having difficulty finding just the right additive for each system?
Dow's innovative family of slip and leveling agents allows you to identify tailored solutions and fine-tune your solventborne, waterborne and radiation curable coating, ink and OPV formulations for optimum performance on wood, furniture and plastic substrates.
Advantages of slip and leveling additives from Dow
- Can be used in solventborne, waterborne and radiation cured paints, coatings, inks and overprint varnishes
- Effective on wood, furniture and plastic substrates
- Lower the coefficient of friction
- Highly effective flow and leveling properties
- Good recoatability
- Effective at low addition levels
- Compliant with European legislation for indirect food contact (Swiss Ordinance RS 817.023.21 Annex 6, Part B)
- Enable minimization of raw material portfolio
DOWSIL™ 57 Additive provides slip, mar resistance, gloss enhancement, pigment treatment and leveling for ink and coatings applications. DOWSIL™ 57 Additive is generally effective at concentrations typically ranging from 0.05-1.0 weight percent, based upon total formulation. This additive can be added during the grind or let-down, or can be post-added.
Key features of specific slip and leveling additives
- DOWSIL™ 205SL Additive is a multipurpose silicone additive offering top performance in leveling, slip and hand feel, combined with excellent defoaming properties.
- DOWSIL™ 204SL Additive provides excellent slip, superior hand feel, better recoatability and improved clarity with comparable leveling speed, particularly for radiation curable formulations.
- DOWSIL™ 401LS Additive provides excellent wetting and leveling in solventborne formulations at use levels as low as 0.075% and without affecting clarity or recoatability.
- DOWSIL™ 57 Additive and DOWSIL™ 402LS Additive complete the family of additives. Both are standard Dow products for leveling.
While each individual product has primary properties that deliver key performance benefits in a formulation, the final choice of additive should also depend on its secondary attributes. Together these characteristics will reflect the exact combination of properties required for a given application.
Figure 1: Primary and secondary benefits of slip and leveling additives from Dow
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Active Content 100 %
- Flash Point, Closed Cup 106.7 °C
- Gloss true
- Kinetic / Kinematic Viscosity 270 Centistokes
- Resistance Type Mar Resistance
- Shelf Life 900 Days
- Specific Gravity @ 25C 1.03
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.