DOWANOL™ PnB Glycol Ether
A fast-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with high solvency and excellent coupling abilities. It is partly water soluble and miscible with most organic solvents. This is extensively used in heavy-duty cleaning formulations.
- Coating formulation and application
- Industrial, automotive and architectural coatings
- Glass and all-purpose cleaners where heightened results can be seen in combination with selected other glycol ether solvents
- Various household and industrial cleaners as a coupling agent and solvent
- Grease and paint removers as a coupling agent and solvent
- Metal and hard surface cleaners as a coupling agent and solvent
- Water-reducible aerosol paint formulations as a coupling cosolvent
- Effective coalescents in water-borne latex coatings while belended with other P-series glycol ethers
- Good for removing soap scum and greasy soils in cleaning applications
- Favorable enviornmental profile, superior performance for end use applications, formulations may require less Performance solvent than P or E Series
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) Yes No 171 °C
- CAS# Yes No 5131-66-8
- Chemical Name Yes No Propylene glycol mono n-butyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption Yes No VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) Yes No 7.3 (0.875)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) Yes No VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) Yes No 0.093
- Flash Point, Closed Cup Yes No 63 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) Yes No <-112 (< -80)
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 15.2
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 10.5
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 4.2
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) Yes No false
- Molecular Weight Yes No 132.2 g/mol
- SARA Title III Yes No false
- Solubility in Water (25°C) Yes No 5.5 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) Yes No 15.5 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) Yes No 0.878
- Surface Tension Yes No 27.5 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) Yes No 0.85
- Viscosity (25°C) Yes No 2.8 cP
Strength in solubility
Found in glass and all-purpose cleaners, DOWANOL™ PnB is a fast-evaporating glycol ether with an excellent balance of hydrophilic and hydrophobic character. With outstanding soil removal and coupling properties, it takes the lead as Dow’s most hydrophobic glycol ether and still maintains complete water solubility.
This P-series product delivers fast evaporation and a heightened ability to solubilize organic soils, making it useful in a wide variety of formulation systems.
Frequently Bought Together
DOWANOL™ PPh Glycol Ether
A slow-evaporating, very hydrophobic glycol ether ideal in coalescing and carrier solvent applications. This product offers a low odor, and it can function as both a dye solubilizer and as a dye carrier.
DOWSIL™ HV 496 Emulsion
High molecular weight, low cyclic siloxane content, silanol functional siloxane polymer emulsion with a variety of applications such as fabric finishing, industrial release, fiberglass/mineral wool hydrophobization, hard surface cleaners; In spray starch products is used as ioring aid agent.
DOWANOL™ DPM Glycol Ether
Mid-to slow evaporating solvent. Has 100% water solubility and is ideally suited as a coupling agent in a wide range of solvent systems. Has a higher flash point than DOWANOL™ PM glycol ether making it easier to handle, store, and ship. Often incorporated into latex emulsion coatings; can be used to prevent shocking (coagulation of emulsion) when hydrophobic solvents are used. More broadly, its hydrophilic nature makes it an ideal coupling aid in water reducible coatings, and cleaning applications. Used with cleaners because they offer an extensive combination of basic physical and performance properties for cleaning formulations. The intermediate evaporation rate allow it to be used in a potentially wider range of systems than many other solvents.
DOWANOL™ DPnB Glycol Ether
A slow-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with excellent surface tension-lowering ability and coalescing properties. It has a near mid-range balance of hydrophobic and hydrophilic characteristics, and it offers significant water solubility. It is one of our most efficient coalescents in water-borne latex systems. It combines a number of properties that contribute to very high latex film quality: 1) high polymer plasticizing efficiency, 2) large molecular size and therefore greater polymer mobility contribution, 3) strong partitioning to the polymer phase, and 4) relatively slow evaporation rate. This product is compatible with many different resin types. It also provides excellent surface tension lowering ability, and is useful in cleaning products by itself or when blended with other products. Used alone in cold metal cleaning, it is a good solvent for removing oils and greases. An excellent choice for coatings applications, this product provides outstanding coalescing and film properties. INCI Name: Dipropylene glycol n-butyl ether
FOR LAUNDRY is a fully neutralized, liquid detergent polymer for a variety of laundry applications, providing excellent performance properties such as the inhibition of crystal growth and the dispersion of precipitates. FOR WAREWASH is a fully neutralized, liquid detergent polymer for industrial machine dishwash applications, providing excellent performance properties such as the inhibition of crystal growth and the dispersion of precipitates.
Diisopropanolamine (DIPA) LFG85
A Low Freeze Grade of Diisopropanolamine with 15% water added to lower the freezing point for easier handling. A basic chemical used in many applications serving as emulsifiers, stabilizers, chemical intermediates and neutralizers that achieve basicity, buffering and alkalinity objectives.
XIAMETER™ PMX-200 Silicone Fluid 100 cSt
100% active, 100 cSt, polydimethylsiloxane polymer. INCI Name: Dimethicone
ACUSOL™ OP 301
It imparts a milky, lotionized appearance to a wide variety of household liquid products.
Hexyl CELLOSOLVE™ Solvent
A high boiling point, slow evaporating solvent with excellent solvency characteristics.It has the characteristic structure of glycol ethers and contains both ether and alcohol functional groups in the same molecule. As a result, it provides unique cleaning power for removal of both water-soluble and greasy (water insoluble) soils. The linear hexyl portion of this provides excellent oil solubility characteristics that make it useful in both consumer and industrial cleaner applications. It plays an important role in specialty printing inks. Because of its limited water solubility and slow evaporation, it can be used in formulations for the silk screen process to prevent premature setting of the ink.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.