DOWANOL™ PnB Glycol Ether
A fast-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with high solvency and excellent coupling abilities. It is partly water soluble and miscible with most organic solvents. This is extensively used in heavy-duty cleaning formulations.
- Coating formulation and application
- Industrial, automotive and architectural coatings
- Glass and all-purpose cleaners where heightened results can be seen in combination with selected other glycol ether solvents
- Various household and industrial cleaners as a coupling agent and solvent
- Grease and paint removers as a coupling agent and solvent
- Metal and hard surface cleaners as a coupling agent and solvent
- Water-reducible aerosol paint formulations as a coupling cosolvent
- Effective coalescents in water-borne latex coatings while belended with other P-series glycol ethers
- Good for removing soap scum and greasy soils in cleaning applications
- Favorable enviornmental profile, superior performance for end use applications, formulations may require less Performance solvent than P or E Series
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) Yes No 171 °C
- CAS# Yes No 5131-66-8
- Chemical Name Yes No Propylene glycol mono n-butyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption Yes No VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) Yes No 7.3 (0.875)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) Yes No VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) Yes No 0.093
- Flash Point, Closed Cup Yes No 63 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) Yes No <-112 (< -80)
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 15.2
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 10.5
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 Yes No 4.2
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) Yes No false
- Molecular Weight Yes No 132.2 g/mol
- SARA Title III Yes No false
- Solubility in Water (25°C) Yes No 5.5 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) Yes No 15.5 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) Yes No 0.878
- Surface Tension Yes No 27.5 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) Yes No 0.85
- Viscosity (25°C) Yes No 2.8 cP
Strength in solubility
Found in glass and all-purpose cleaners, DOWANOL™ PnB is a fast-evaporating glycol ether with an excellent balance of hydrophilic and hydrophobic character. With outstanding soil removal and coupling properties, it takes the lead as Dow’s most hydrophobic glycol ether and still maintains complete water solubility.
This P-series product delivers fast evaporation and a heightened ability to solubilize organic soils, making it useful in a wide variety of formulation systems.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.