DOWANOL™ DPnB Glycol Ether
A slow-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with excellent surface tension-lowering ability and coalescing properties. It has a near mid-range balance of hydrophobic and hydrophilic characteristics, and it offers significant water solubility. It is one of our most efficient coalescents in water-borne latex systems. It combines a number of properties that contribute to very high latex film quality: 1) high polymer plasticizing efficiency, 2) large molecular size and therefore greater polymer mobility contribution, 3) strong partitioning to the polymer phase, and 4) relatively slow evaporation rate. This product is compatible with many different resin types. It also provides excellent surface tension lowering ability, and is useful in cleaning products by itself or when blended with other products. Used alone in cold metal cleaning, it is a good solvent for removing oils and greases. An excellent choice for coatings applications, this product provides outstanding coalescing and film properties. INCI Name: Dipropylene glycol n-butyl ether
- Coating formulation and application
- Industrial, automotive and architectural coatings
- Favorable enviornmental profile, superior performance for end use applications, formulations may require less Performance solvent than P or E Series
Bringing versatility to the table and other hard surfaces
DOWANOL™ DPnB glycol ether is a slow-evaporating, hydrophobic glycol ether with excellent surface tension-lowering ability and coalescing properties. DOWANOL DPnB™ glycol ether solvent has a vapor pressure that qualifies it as an exempt VOC (volatile organic compound) under the California Air Resources Board and U.S. EPA criteria for both consumer and commercial cleaning product applications. Other functional characteristics include, readily biodegradable and U.S. EPA Inerts listed for non food use.
As one of Dow’s most efficient coalescents for lowering minimum film formulation temperature in water-borne latex systems, DOWANOL™ DPnB’s properties include:
- Active and effective ether for solvent-based coatings and water-reducible coatings
- High polymer plasticizing efficiency
- A larger molecular size that allows for a greater polymer mobility contribution
- Strong partitioning to the polymer phase
- Relatively slow evaporation rate
- Good for the removal of soap scums and greasy soils in cleaning formulations
While versatility is key, combatibility with multiple resin types is another valued attribute that DOWANOL™ DPnB brings to the table. It can be used alone in cleaning products such as cold metal cleaning to remove oil and greases, or can be paired with other products such as DOWANOL™ DPM glycol ether.
With a variety of uses, DOWANOL™ DPnB glycol ether is a key component found in many household, industrial, metal and hard surface cleaners as well as grease and paint removers.
These values are typical properties and are not intended for use in preparing specifications.
- Boiling Point (°C @760mmHg) 230 °C
- CAS# 29911-28-2
- Chemical Name Dipropylene glycol mono n-butyl ether
- Consumer Products US EPA LVP Exemption not VOC
- Density (25°C) in lb/gal (g/cc) 7.57 (0.907)
- EPA Method 24 (ASTM 26886) VOC
- Evaporation Rate (n-butyl acetate=1.0) 0.006
- Flash Point, Closed Cup 100 °C
- Freezing Point °F(°C) 212/1001
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dD (joules/cm3)1/2 14.8
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dH (joules/cm3)1/2 8.7
- Hansen Solubility Parameter, dP (joules/cm3)1/2 2.5
- HAPs (Title III Clean Air Act) false
- Molecular Weight 190.3 g/mol
- SARA Title III false
- Solubility in Water (25°C) 4.5 wt%
- Solubility Water in (25°C) 12 wt%
- Specific Gravity (25°C) 0.91
- Surface Tension 28.4 dynes/cm
- Vapor Pressure (mmHg @ 20°C) 0.04
- Viscosity (25°C) 4.9 cP
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material Please Contact Dow for additional information.
No Safety Data Sheets are available online for this material
Please Contact Dow for additional information.