Blister Packaging Alternative Reduces Materials, Lowers Costs
Skin and stretch packaging films made with DuPont™ Surlyn® are a clamshell and blister packaging alternative that enhances shelf appeal and helps reduce material usage without sacrificing performance.
More Design Options, Increased Sales Potential
Compared to other packaging styles, Stretch Pak films made with DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resin give retailers more carded display options, including one-sided frame view, see-through frame view, and free-standing.
Stretch Pak shows products clearly for maximum shelf appeal, helping increase sales. And it helps manufacturers reduce their overall packaging material use.
Advantages that Stretch from Production Line to Shelf
Stretch Pak offers significant advantages over conventional blister, fold-over blister, and clamshell packaging:
- The packaged product can be seen from all sides, so consumers can inspect the front and back before buying.
- The clarity and shine of its film enhances product appearance.
- Its toughness and abrasion resistance minimizes damage during shipping and in-store handling and offers tamper evidence.
- It shrinks tight to conform to even the most oddly shaped products.
- In some situations it permits fast throughput and line speeds, for easier processing at higher packaging yields.
- Products can be packaged in single or multiple units, or in a premium version, without interfering with production.
Stretch Pak Packaging Designs
DuPont works with Stretch Pak manufacturers, brand owners, and retailers to find the right blister packaging alternative solution based on their needs:
- One-Sided Frame View: Similar to surface-seal blister or skin packages, the opening can conform to the product’s shape or be designed as a generic shape. Ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- See-Through Frame View: The product “floats” in the middle of the card so that it can be seen from either side. Also ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- Two-Sided Stand-Up: Replacing standing fold-over blister and clamshell packages, this design provides superior standing performance and prevents the product from moving within the package. Ideal for incorporating promotional items.
Making a Better Blister Packaging Alternative with Skin Packaging
DuPont works with packaging converters, equipment manufacturers, brand owners, and retailers to create skin packaging for all kinds of consumer products including cosmetics, kitchen and office supplies, and hardware.Whatever the size or shape of the product, and whatever the business need, DuPont helps develop a custom solution that delivers on all fronts.
Outstanding Optical Properties
Surlyn® offers outstanding gloss and transparency for superior shelf appeal. It imparts brightness to both matte and semi-gloss printed boards.
Because of its chemical nature, Surlyn® absorbs infrared heat at about twice the rate of PE. Its ability to soften more quickly in the heating phase speeds up the whole packaging process, allowing around 40% more packaging cycles in the same time frame.
Better Drawability and Puncture Abrasion Resistance
The ionic link between the polymer chains in Surlyn® provide unmatched drawability and puncture resistance. Films made of Surlyn® are not easily punctured by pointed objects and sharp edges, especially during the critical forming stages of the packaging cycle. Abrasion and puncturing of the film are no longer a problem.
Better Resistance to Board Curl
Compared with LDPE, Surlyn® has a higher shrinkforce in the molten phase, for perfect draw, but a lower shrinkforce in the solid state. It eliminates unsightly board curl and prevents objects from being deformed.
Additional Performance Benefits
Made of Surlyn® resins, skin and stretch packaging films offer many other benefits as a blister packaging alternative, including:
- Better Chemical Resistance: Surlyn® is chemically inert, so it does not react with other plastics or rubbers — typically a problem with plasticizers in PVC. Films made with Surlyn® resins are resistant to grease and oil, which are often found in packages of industrial parts such as bearings and tiles, and it will not corrode unplated metals.
- Better Resistance to Aging: Films made with Surlyn® resins do not become brittle with age or low temperatures and ensure good cohesion even when packaging the heaviest products.
- Cold-Weather Durability: Films made with Surlyn® resins retain all their properties down to -40 °C, minimizing low-temperature impact breakage during transit and storage.
- Excellent Adhesion to Primed and Non-Primed Board: Surlyn® provides outstanding adhesion to primed board, and Surlyn® co-extruded with highly transparent Bynel® adhesive resin provides outstanding adhesion to non-primed board.
- High-Quality Graphics: Surlyn® also allows for high-quality printing on a range of specially formulated boards to increase shelf appeal. Prior to production, Dow can help establish board and ink compatibility as well as ensure good vacuum and adhesion are maintained for maximum pack integrity and tamper evidence.
A Blister Packaging Alternative that’s Kinder to the Environment
Skin and stretch packaging films made with Surlyn® offer significant weight and volume reduction compared to traditional rigid blister or clamshell packs. Because of its outstanding toughness and formability, Surlyn® makes downgauging easier, allowing a real opportunity to reduce packaging volume within all areas of the value chain. And by using less film overall, manufacturers can reduce their source material usage.