Cheese & Dairy Packaging
Dow’s expertise addresses the demanding needs of cheese and dairy packaging.
FRESH CHOICES FOR CHEESE AND DAIRY PACKAGING
All foods have unique packaging requirements. Cheese and dairy packaging present a few extra challenges.
Maintaining freshness, safety, odor control, toughness, flexibility, convenience, and shelf appeal in a leak-proof package are overlapping concerns addressed by Dow and DuPont’s high performance products for cheese and dairy packaging.
Proven Expertise and Solutions
Our deep portfolio of materials and proven technical expertise help brand manufacturers and converters create innovative cheese and dairy packaging solutions that:
- Deliver high hot tack strength
- Provide leak-free durability to reduce leakers in-store and at home
- Control gas exchanges to promote specific barrier properties needed to keep cheese and yogurt fresh
- Prevent mold deterioration, dehydration, and off-odor absorption
Dow and DuPont Packaging resins are often used in extrusion coating and laminating, helping make effective use of packaging roll goods such as foil, paper, nonwovens, OPET and OPP.
DuPont™ Elvax® for Block Cheese
DuPont™ Elvax® ethylene vinyl acetate copolymer uses low-temperature seal initiation to protect heat-sensitive products. Typical structures for packaging cheese blocks include polypropylene/Elvax®, nylon/Elvax®, and PET/Elvax®.
Elvax® advantages include:
- Good gusset caulking, due to good flow in heat seal process
- Low temperature seal
- Low softening temperature
- Excellent flex-crack resistance
DuPont™ Surlyn® for Processed Cheese
DuPont™ Surlyn® ionomer resin assures the highest possible seal integrity for processed and shredded cheese packaging. Typical packaging structures include top film and thermoformed bottom or deep draw VSP bottom formats.
How Surlyn® works in packaging structures:
- Surlyn® is generally used with nylon in the bottom forming web and with polyester in the top web. In both cases, it serves as the inner heat-sealing layer.
- Forming webs incorporating Surlyn® are highly conformable for intimate product contact and help maintain the barrier layer throughout the structure during thermoforming.
DuPont™ Appeel® for Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Spreads, and Ice Cream
DuPont™ Appeel® peelable sealant resins provide easy-to-open, strong, secure seals to prevent tearing and splitting of lidding. This provides peace of mind knowing that products will stay closed until the consumer opens them. Appeel® is used in easy-peel lidding for yogurt, butter, ricotta and cottage cheese, and ice cream.
An out-of-the bag technology enabling easier entry into the lidding market, Appeel® delivers production, point of sale, and consumer benefits:
- Can be used in blown film, cast film, extrusion coating and coextrusion processes on equipment designed for processing PE.
- Available in many grades that bond to multiple surfaces resulting in SKU reduction
- FDA approved for direct food contact
- Security of a hermetically sealed package that resists punctures and tears provides tamper resistant or tamper-evident peels for greater consumer protection
Improving Packaging Through Collaboration
Through a collaborative approach across the value chain, Dow and DuPont have developed packaging resins, adhesives, and coatings for every type of cheese and dairy package imaginable with the end product designed to be recycled.
Request Product Related Information
Have a question or looking for more information on cheese & dairy packaging applications?
Conveniently locate important technical and product-related information
via the Customer Information Group (CIG).