Consumer Goods & Retail
As the world keeps coming up with new products, Dow keeps innovating new ways to package them.
CONSUMER PACKAGING OVERVIEW
The abundance and diversity of consumer personal care and home care products continues to grow. And many of these new products have unique packaging requirements.
Dow keeps pace with this growth and the new demands through collaborative packaging research with brand owners and converters around the world.
Consumer Packaging’s Need For Aesthetics and Performance
The combination of excellent aesthetics and faultless performance make products particularly suitable for the consumer market.
A key to success in the consumer packaging market is its highly collaborative approach with brand owners and converters. Everyone is committed to finding low-cost, innovative and sustainable solutions.
Supporting Lightweight, Cost-Effective Retail Packaging
Retail packaging solutions can help improve a product’s shelf appeal, reduce material usage, and add to the bottom line.
Retail packaging materials contribute to cost savings by preventing theft and damage, by indicating tamperage, and by reducing transportation costs. They help drive purchase by allowing the consumer to see and “feel” the product before buying it.
By switching from blisters or clamshells to skin or stretch packaging made from Dow materials, retailers and manufacturers reduce plastic usage and decrease product weight. This in turn may reduce shipping costs and may increase energy efficiency in getting goods to market.
Retail packaging innovations also include tamper-resistance products to help prevent in-store damage or theft and materials that help preserve product appearance and prevent damage during shipment.
Consumer Packaging that Increases Sales and Lowers Costs
Using Surlyn® for see-through skin and stretch packaging films is a cost-effective way to enhance product shelf appeal and reduce weight.
Skin and stretch packaging films made from Surlyn® are lightweight, cost-effective alternatives to clamshell and blister consumer packaging. The high gloss and clarity of films produced from Surlyn® lets products shine through the packaging, enhancing appeal, which can lead to increased sales.
Used in skin and stretch packaging (Stretch Pak) films, Surlyn® ionomer resin also helps reduce material usage, without sacrificing performance.
Design Options for More Sales Potential
Stretch Pak films made with Surlyn® provide several carded display options that allow consumers to see the product from different angles, increasing their potential to buy:
- One-Sided Frame View: Similar to surface-seal blister or skin packages, the opening can conform to the product’s shape, or be designed as a generic shape. Ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- See-Through Frame View: The product “floats” in the middle of the card, so that it can be seen from either side. Also ideal for use with similar products of different sizes and shapes.
- Two-Sided Stand-Up: Replacing standing fold-over blister and clamshell packages, this design provides superior standing performance, and prevents the product from moving within the package. Ideal for incorporating promotional items.
Versatile Performance, Increased Productivity
Surlyn® offers many consumer packaging benefits, including:
- Light Weight: Surlyn® decreases packaging weight, and helps reduce material usage.
- Reliable Protection: Its toughness and abrasion resistance minimizes damage during shipping and in-store handling, and offers tamper evidence.
- Outstanding Transparency: Surlyn® imparts brightness to both matte and semi-gloss printed boards.
- Tamper Resistance: Films made with Surlyn® are highly resistant to tampering. It is very difficult to remove the product from its package without leaving obvious signs that the package was compromised.
- Superior Puncture and Abrasion Resistance: Films made of Surlyn® are not easily punctured by pointed objects and sharp edges, and they shrink tightly to conform to even the most oddly shaped products.
- Excellent Resistance to Board Curl: Compared to LDPE, Surlyn® eliminates unsightly board curl and prevents objects from being deformed.
- Resistance to Chemicals and Aging: Films made with Surlyn® are resistant to grease and oil and do not become brittle with age, even when packaging the heaviest products.
- Excellent Adhesion to Primed and Non-Primed Board: Surlyn® provides outstanding adhesion to primed board and, when used with Bynel® adhesive resin, non-primed board.
- Faster Processing: Surlyn® absorbs infrared heat at about twice the rate of PE, allowing around 40% more packaging cycles in the same time frame.
- Streamlined Production: Products can be packaged in single or multiple units, or in a premium version, without interfering with production.
Skin Packaging Applications
For skin packaging applications, Surlyn® can conform to the shape of almost any product, no matter how unusual. It provides excellent transparency, quick absorption of infrared heat, and deep drawability. Its high melt strength allows use of thinner gauges, and it does not get brittle with age or exposure to extreme cold. On the production front, Surlyn® allows for short cycles with lower energy requirements.
Customized Packaging Solutions
Dow works with packaging converters, equipment manufacturers, brand owners, and retailers to create consumer packaging for all kinds of consumer products, including cosmetics, kitchen and office supplies, and hardware.
Skin and stretch packaging films made with Surlyn® offer significant weight and volume reduction, compared to traditional rigid blister or clamshell packs. Because of its outstanding toughness and formability, Surlyn® makes downgauging easier, helping reduce packaging volume during transit. And, by using less film overall, consumer packaging manufacturers can reduce their source material usage.
Consumer Packaging Applications
Dow's Consumer Packaging market features several specialty applications.
Plastic bottles for personal care and home care products have several key jobs to do and the right formulation of resins help them do it. Protection, convenience, recyclability, and shelf appeal are all possible with resins.
Those small individual packages of laundry soap are very convenient and that has led to their rapid acceptance by consumers. The key, however, is the tough but quickly dissolvable outer wrapper.
Stand Up Pouches
Stand up pouches made with Dow resins can accommodate a wide range of ingredients. Lightweight, sustainable and convenient, stand up pouches are starting to “pop up” everywhere.
Request Product Related Information
Have a question or looking for more information on consumer goods & retail products?
Conveniently locate important technical and product-related information
via the Customer Information Group (CIG).