What To Do In The Event Of A Leak
Following are some suggestions on what to do in the event of a pipeline leak:
- Turn off all sources of ignition
- Extinguish all flames, do not smoke
- Do not start or turn on vehicle/electrical equipment
- Do not use cell phones, pagers, 2-way radios
- Leave the area immediately on foot and try to prevent others from entering
- If you are in a school, business, or other public facility, evacuate the facility; consider pulling the fire alarm to notify others.
- Move out of the path in a cross-wind direction and then move upwind of the possible source.
- If you need to notify neighbors knock on doors, do not use doorbells
- Once in a safe location, call 911
- Notify the pipeline company if known
- If pipeline leak is on fire, do not attempt to extinguish any flames
- Do not attempt to operate pipeline valves
- Warn others