An Extraordinary Hire
In 1930, Dr. Eugene Sullivan, director of research at Corning Glass in Corning, New York, hypothesized that plastics may replace many of their glass counterparts. He hired Dr. Hyde, a young organic chemist, to develop a material that combined the best elements of inorganic glass and organic-based plastics. Even Dr. Hyde thought it audacious to hire an organic chemist at a company that produced inorganic glass. But the move paid off, as Dr. Hyde soon created organosilicon compounds that fulfilled Dr. Sullivan’s vision.
Dr. Hyde’s earliest experiments brought about the first compounds that combined the basic components of glass and plastic. He is pictured here, in 1945, at a Corning Glass Works lab with a colleague.
Dow Corning historic photo.