South Charleston Technology ParkHistory
The South Charleston Technical Center’s first research laboratory was officially dedicated in 1949. Prior to that time, research and development for petrochemicals and plastics were performed at the South Charleston Site. In 1959, with the addition of two large development laboratories and an engineering building, the facility became a full-scale Technical Center. Then, in 1977, a large data processing building was constructed and placed in operation.
The South Charleston Technology Park is a center for engineering, research and development and integrated data processing.
Major facilities include research and development laboratories, several chemical pilot plants, polyethylene pilot plant operations center and an engineering center. Also present are essential auxiliary facilities such as environmental protection facilities, store rooms, maintenance shop facilities and test and inspection operations required to support the primary site functions
The South Charleston Technology Park is the site where most of the major processes for petrochemicals were developed by Union Carbide Corporation. These include the award-winning UNIPOL™ process for polyethylene, the world-leading Low Pressure Oxo process, and improved catalysts for ethylene oxide production.
Leading expertise in catalysis has resulted in improved surfactants for detergents, a new process for alkanolamine manufacture, and significant improvement in many established processes. Leading urethane additive technologies such as GEOLITE™ and SERT™ have been developed to allow "environmentally friendly" flexible foams to be produced for the automotive, housing and construction industries. The Research and Development area maintains a state-of-the-art analytical section to support research and operation programs and for environmental studies. Engineering organizations provide process development, design and a wide array of engineering skills.