West Virginia Operations

South Charleston Manufacturing Site

History
The world's first petrochemical plant was constructed by Union Carbide Corporation in 1920 at Clendenin, West Virginia. By 1925 the manufacture of chemicals had grown to the point that another plant was leased (later purchased), and the Clendenin operation and personnel were moved to the new location at South Charleston, West Virginia.

South Charleston Manufacturing Site    
 
The research, development and production experience at Clendenin paved the way for the growth of the South Charleston Site that occupies Blaine Island and extends across the Kanawha River into Charleston. Many of the plant's current product lines were developed and first produced at the South Charleston Site. They were later moved to other plants when increased production capacity became necessary. Major corporate products were produced at the plant and over time, other major technological advances developed here including olefin gas separation techniques and vinyls technology. Other major technological advances developed here including olefin gas separation techniques and vinyls technology.

A new chapter in the history of West Virginia Operations began when Union Carbide Corporation became a wholly owned subsidiary of The Dow Chemical Company in 2001.

Facility
The South Charleston Site is a manufacturing facility that produces more than 500 different chemicals and plastics, and serves as a redistribution facility for chemicals manufactured at other locations. Several of the plant's units are ISO-9002 or equivalent registered.

The South Charleston Site is a multi-company site. Bayer Corporation owns and operates the Polyols Production Unit. The Polyols unit was formerly owned by Union Carbide. Today, Union Carbide provides staffing, services and utilities to Bayer.

Plant Products and Applications
The South Charleston Site is a manufacturing facility that produces more than 500 different chemicals and plastics for applications such as:
  • Chewing gum
  • Paints and paint primers
  • Brake, hydraulic and metalworking fluids
  • Car wash applications
  • Personal care products

The site also serves as a redistribution facility for chemicals manufactured at other locations. Several of the plant's units are ISO-9002 or equivalent registered.

The South Charleston Site is a multi-company site. Bayer Corporation owns and operates the Polyols Production Unit. The Polyols unit was formerly owned by Union Carbide. Today, Union Carbide provides staffing, services and utilities to Bayer.