DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol (PG) USP/EP is a pharmaceutical grade of Monopropylene Glycols (PG or MPG) with a specified purity greater than 99.8%.
DOW PuraGuard™ PG USP/EP is tested for compliance with specifications of:
- United States Pharmacopeia (USP)
- European Pharmacopoeia (EP)
- Japanese Pharmacopoeia (JP)
- Food Chemical Codex (FCC)
It also complies with:
- Brazilian Pharmacopoeia (FB)
- other pharmaceutical, cosmetic and food regulations in the global markets where it is sold
It is listed by the Personal Care Products Council† as an approved ingredient in cosmetics, and its use is reviewed by the Cosmetic Ingredient Review (CIR). DOW PuraGuard™ USP/EP is Kosher and complies with Halal requirements.
DOW PuraGuard™ USP/EP is an important ingredient for a multitude of uses, including:
- Solvent for aromatics in the flavor-concentrate industry
- Wetting agent for natural gums
- Ingredient in the compounding of citrus and other emulsified flavors
- Solvent in elixirs and pharmaceutical preparations
- Solvent and coupling agent in the formulation of sun screen, lotion, shampoos, shaving creams and other similar products
- Emulsifier in cosmetic and pharmaceutical creams
- Ingredient for low-temperature heat-transfer fluids involving indirect food contact, such as brewing and dairy uses, as well as refrigerated grocery display cases
- Very effective humectant, preservative and stabilizer in semi-moist pet food (with the exception of cat food), bakery goods, food flavorings and salad dressings
DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP is available from Dow in various quantities. Please contact us for details on availabilities in your region.
|Physical Properties||Units||Propylene Glycol USP/EP (PG USP/EP)|
|Boiling Point||760 mm Hg, °F||369.3|
|760 mm Hg, °C||187.4|
|Vapor Pressure||mm Hg, 77°F (25°C)||0.13|
|Evaporation Rate||(n-Butyl Acetate = 1)||1.57E-02|
|1 Chemical Abstract Service Number
*Note: These properties are laboratory results on pure compounds or are typical of the product. Typical properties should not be confused with, or regarded as, specifications.
NOTICE: The DOW PuraGuard™ trade name is currently commercially available only in North America, in conjunction with IPEA certification. Though the IPEA third-party IPEC GMP certification has been received only by the two North American PG USP/EP manufacturing sites, DOW PuraGuard PG USP/EP follows the same manufacturing process and meets the same product composition and impurity profile as standard PG USP/EP. Dow’s stringent PG USP/EP global manufacturing standards enable the availability of the same consistently pure, high-quality PG USP/EP product around the world.