DOW PuraGuard™ Propylene Glycol USP/EP, Dipropylene Glycol LO+ (DPG LO+) and Tripropylene Glycol Regular Grade (TPG) are premium, high-purity products, with extensive applications in the fragrance, cosmetics and personal care industry.
Qualities of these products include:
- Solvents, carriers, emollients, dispersants, coupling agents and co-emulsifiers, emulsion stabilizers or viscosity modifiers
- Humectants due to their hygroscopic nature and ability to attract and hold water
- Preservatives due to inherent antimicrobial activity against a wide range of bacterial and fungal species
Dow's propylene glycols are commonly used in many types of cosmetic formulations such as:
- Skin care (creams, moisturizers, cleansers, lotions, sun care products)
- Deodorants and antiperspirants (roll-on, stick and gel deodorants)
- Hair care (shampoos, conditioners, wave sets, styling gels and coloring products)
- Shaving products (creams, foams, gels, and after-shave lotions)
- Bath and shower products
- Perfumes and colognes
- Baby care products (baby wipes)
- Hand cleansing and disinfecting gels
- Color cosmetics (blushes, eyeliner, lipsticks, eye shadow)
- Dental care (mouth washes and toothpastes)
DOW PuraGuard™ PG USP/EP is tested against the requirements and/or standards of:
- Food Chemicals Codex (FCC)
- United States Pharmacopeia (USP)
- European Pharmacopoeia (EP)
- Japanese Pharmacopoeia (JP)
DOW PuraGuard™ PG USP/EP meets the requirements of the Brazilian Pharmacopoeia (FB) and is used in toothpastes, in addition to the applications above, due to its low acute oral toxicity and GRAS designation (21CFR184.1666). It also meets the requirements and standards of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA) and European Council Directive 76/768/ECC (Cosmetics Directive), with subsequent amendments and nation-specific regulations regarding cosmetic applications.
Dow is the first company to achieve third-party IPEC GMP certification for propylene glycol (PG) from the International Pharmaceutical Excipients Auditing, Inc. (IPEA) for its PG manufacturing facilities in Freeport, Texas, and Plaquemine, Louisiana. Dow’s commitment to GMP throughout the supply chain enables DOW PuraGuard PG USP/EP to be handled according to stringent requirements for consistent purity.
DPG LO+ is the solvent of choice, as well as a coupling agent and humectant for many fragrance applications, due to its co-solvency for water, oils and hydrocarbons; low odor; low skin irritation potential and low toxicity. DPG LO+ is produced, packaged, and distributed with the highest standards in the world, including those of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Personal Care Products Council†.
TPG is used as a component in some clear stick and gel deodorants.
For Additional Information: