The people of the Great Lakes Bay Region have contributed greatly to the success of The Dow Chemical Company since its founding in 1897. Dow’s 6,000 local employees recognize the importance of giving back – not only through the company’s role as a major employer, but also as an active corporate citizen. The people of Dow have a vested interest in the success of the region because it is more than just their workplace – they live here and raise their families here. Dow employees consider their volunteerism and grant-making efforts to be more than just charity – they are critical to the sustainability of Dow’s local operations.
The DowGives program has been established to ensure Dow’s grant-making and employee volunteer efforts are focused in a manner that makes the greatest possible impact on the quality of life for people in the Great Lakes Bay Region. DowGives includes five categories – three of which are internal initiatives that empower and incentivize Dow employees to volunteer in the Great Lakes Bay Region, while the remaining two provide grant and sponsorship opportunities for local non-profit organizations.
- iGive – Dow employees who commit to volunteer at least 25 hours at a local non-profit organization each year may apply for a $250 iGive grant, which is donated directly to the non-profit on the volunteering employee’s behalf.
- weGive – Dow employees who organize a group of their co-workers to volunteer at a local non-profit organization may apply for a weGive grant ranging from $1,000 to $25,000 (depending on the size of the volunteer team), which is donated directly to the non-profit on the volunteering employees’ behalf. The funds are typically used to provide materials and supplies for the Dow employees’ volunteer project.
- leadershipGive - The leadershipGives program takes Dow employees who wish to apply their passion and leadership skills to benefit their community and connects them with local non-profit organizations that are in need of volunteers to serve on their board of directors.
- communityGive – Youth groups in the Great Lakes Bay Region that have volunteered at least 50 hours of community service may apply for a $1,000 communityGives grant, which is donated directly to their school, church, or associated non-profit organization. Click here for more information about applying for a communityGives grant.
- companyGives – companyGives grants empower local non-profit organizations to implement projects that address a defined community need and produce sustainable benefits for the people of the Great Lakes Bay Region, while companyGives sponsorships help non-profits put on successful community events. See below for more information about applying for a companyGives grant or sponsorship.
Should I apply for a grant or a sponsorship?
The companyGives program has two separate applications – one for grants from The Dow Chemical Company Foundation and another for sponsorships from The Dow Chemical Company. Before completing an application, please review the prerequisites and instructions thoroughly to determine whether you are eligible for a grant or a sponsorship.
Non-profit organizations should apply for a GRANT from The Dow Chemical Company Foundation if: they are seeking support for projects where Dow will receive nothing of value in return for the contribution other than recognition and goodwill.Click here to review the prerequisites and instructions to apply for a companyGives grant.
Non-profit organizations should apply for a SPONSORSHIP from The Dow Chemical Company if: they are seeking support for a project (typically a fundraising or community event) where Dow will receive benefits in return – such as meals, tickets, advertising, etc. Click here to review the prerequisites and instructions to apply for a companyGives sponsorship.