Human Element Hero: Jamie Cohen
According to Dow R&D Director Jamie Cohen, she didn't pick science as a career; science picked her.Meet Jamie
Human Element Heroes
Dow’s 6,000-plus men and women scientists are among the best and brightest in the world. Their curiosity and creativity fuel the company’s growth and help solve complex global challenges. We call them our Human Element Heroes and we recognize a few of them here with a brief look into their remarkable minds and personalities.
Areas of Expertise
Dow grows through innovation – creating the products, solutions and processes of tomorrow. We practice the fundamentals of R&D – with deep expertise, capabilities and networks that are unparalleled in the industry. Below is a high level look at some of our areas of expertise.
From atomic level visualization to macro scale physical property testing to surface science, Dow’s world-class capabilities and researchers are second to none. No analytical problem is too difficult. Expertise in 100+ techniques, including:
- Atomic-level visualization
- Detailed elemental analysis
- Bio-analytical testing
- Macro scale physical and material property testing
- Surface and microscopy
- Direct access to National Labs
Catalysis & Synthesis
Unprecedented ability to link structure and property relationships of polymers to open and expand new applications. Developing higher performing, more sustainable polymers, products and processes.
- Advanced Inorganic Materials
- High Throughput Capabilities for Synthesis & Application Development
- Specialized Characterization Testing
- Heterogeneous Catalysis
- Electroactive Materials
- Fluid Transport & Separations/Barrier Materials
- Informatics and Modeling
From lab to production line, Dow has expertise in converting discoveries into products made in the largest commercial production plants in the world. From specialized active ingredients to commodities, we know how to scale up and engineer.
- Fluid Mechanics & Mixing
- Process Optimization
- Process Separations
- Reaction Engineering
- Solids Processing
Scientists partner with customers in a variety of market segments including Coatings, Personal Care, Agriculture, Oil & Gas, Pharmaceutical, Food and Packaging among others to develop differentiated technologies that enable long term growth.
- Interfacial Reactions
- Interfacial Structures
- Interfacial Dynamics & Formulation
High Throughput Capabilities
State-of-the-art material synthesis combined with informatics and data analysis that delivers 1000s of highly automated experiments simultaneously -- accelerating time to market.
- State of the art catalysis, synthesis, formulations and coatings capabilities
- Available and leveraged in 4 R&D centers globally
- Complemented with informatics and lab automation
Materials Engineering & Modeling
Ability to predict properties of new products or processes enabling more rapid production of revolutionary new materials.
- Art-to-Part solutions capabilities
- Designs from a single molecule to in-silico prototyping and full application modeling
- Computational modeling capabilities
- Specialized product reliability testing