Our 2015 Sustainability Goals: Sustainable Chemistry
Sustainable chemistry is our “cradle to cradle” concept that drives us to:
- Use resources more efficiently
- Minimize our footprint
- Provide value to our customers and stakeholders
- Deliver solutions for customer needs
- Enhance the quality of life of current and future generations
Leading up to the end of 2015, Dow will publicly report on progress by:
- Reporting our overall annual assessment of our sustainable chemistry index, and performance against our % of sales having sustainable chemistry advantages.
- Presenting and/or publishing life cycle assessments that are validated independently by an external stakeholder, on existing or planned Dow products.
- Providing ongoing updates on promising areas of research and investments and collaborations that spur sustainable chemistry innovation.
- Promoting sustainable chemistry internationally through student prizes and Dow employee awards under The Dow Sustainability Innovation Challenge Award program.
Sustainable Chemistry Index
Dow's Sustainable Chemistry Index helps us drive innovation and measure our progress as we deliver smart solutions to customers:
- Provides Dow businesses clear picture of their profile
- Identifies opportunities for improvement
- Focuses business strategies on most significant sustainability impacts for those products
- Provides a mechanism for external stakeholders to track our progress
- Reinforces our corporate strategy to “Set the Standard for Sustainability”
The index blends several factors to determine products that have sustainable chemistry advantages:Q1: Renewable/Recycled Content
Q2: Resource Management
Q3: Life Cycle Benefit
Q4: Manufacturing Efficiency
Q5: Social Need
Q7: Product Application
Q8: Public Policy/End Of Life