FIGHTING FOOD WASTE
It’s a needless waste of precious resources and money and even contributes to climate change.
DOW PACKAGING IS FIGHTING FOOD WASTE
It's a shocking statistic - one third of the food produced in the world goes to waste each year.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO), that's enough to feed the 805 million people going hungry every day.
Food waste not only leads to millions of hungry people and wasted resources, it also has a hand in polluting the earth. The buildup of rotting foods in landfills creates an alarming amount of methane that contributes to global warming.
Food waste and food loss within the supply chain is a growing global issue. It occurs on all levels of production and consumption. Food can spoil:
- In the supply-chain process before it reaches the store
- In the store before it reaches the consumer
- In the consumer's home before it can be used
There is No One Answer to Resolving Food Waste
Innovative food packaging from Dow can help keep food fresher and safer longer. But consumers can also have an impact when shopping in the supermarket and at home.
When we throw out food, we're not only increasing the huge amount of food gone to waste, we're exhausting the resources used to produce that food. For example, if an 8-ounce steak goes to waste, so does the 6.5 pounds of wheat and 1,200 gallons of water it took to produce that half-pound portion alone. The food that could solve worldwide hunger, the money that could aid the poverty-stricken, the water, land, and livestock that it took to produce the food, and the fuel it took for the transportation of all parts of the process are all wasted when food gets tossed.
How You Can Help Reduce Food Waste
- Choose pre-packaged foods for their extended shelf life
- Buy the right-size portion of packaged foods to fit your lifestyle
- Properly store any leftovers so that you can consume them before they go to waste
- Check your package for the recycling icon to see if it is recyclable in your city
- Properly recycle any eligible items after consumption