Dow Corning Inc. was formed in 1943 as a joint venture between Dow and New York-based Corning Glass, with each of the two partners owning 50 percent of the venture. Dow Corning’s first production facility opening in 1945 in Midland. For roughly 70 years, Dow Corning operated separately from its two corporate parents.
In 2016, the ownership of Dow Corning was restructured. Dow is now 100 percent owner of Dow Corning’s silicones business, which now operates as a Dow subsidiary. Production facilities in Midland are now part of Dow Michigan Operations.